Coach Mohr – Boys Basketball

June 6, 2023

Head Coach Charles Mohr of the boys basketball team.

Head Coach Mr. Charles Mohr has become the winningest coach of the boys basketball team. This winter, the team finished with a record of 8–14, and 7–7 in the Greater Middlesex Conference (GMC).

The Eagle’s Eye requested Mohr’s thoughts on his newfound record.

EE: How long have you been coaching for, and what got you into it?

CM: I’ve been the Boys’ Head Coach at EHS since 2003–04. Before that I coached at Rahway HS and Middlesex County College. I played basketball in high school and college and I’ve always loved the game. I had some great coaches that had a positive impact on my life and I wanted to do the same for others.

EE: What were some important experiences you have had as a coach, and how do you feel about becoming the winningest one?

CM: I enjoy seeing the progress a team makes starting in the summer and throughout the season. All coaches want to win games, but there is a lot more to coaching than that. Team sports are a great way for students to have success, face adversity and learn how to deal with both. There are many life lessons we can learn by being a part of a team. I must say one of my favorite parts of coaching is when former players come back to EHS and tell me they are doing well in school, jobs, life, etc. 

I am very proud to be the winningest boys’ basketball coach at Edison High School. There are many people who played a part in this accomplishment, everyone who has coached with me, all of the players, the administration and my family. I feel very fortunate to be a part of the Edison High School community.

EE: What have been some difficulties throughout your coaching tenure, and how have you overcome them?

CM: Some of the difficulties have been: rebuilding the team the year after a senior heavy team, playing a tough schedule, having to practice late because of lack of gym space. These difficulties are a part of coaching and I have had great people coach with me to work through these issues.

EE: How do you plan to continue this positive trajectory for yourself and the team?

CM: The way the program stays on this positive trajectory is through hard work. We have summer workouts and we participate in a summer league. In the fall, we have strength and conditioning workouts. During the season we have practice three days a week and we play three games per week, so we are together a lot. This helps us to build our team culture.

$15
$500

The Eagle's Eye • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

$15
$500