Docendo Discimus!

Latin Teacher Dr. Jonathan Clark Named Teacher Of The Year
Dr. Clark enjoying one of his favorite hobbies, kayaking.
DR. JONATHAN CLARK

“By teaching, we learn.” 

“Docendo Discimus” is just one of the many Latin phrases that can be used to describe Edison High School’s teacher of the year. An outdoorsy Latin and former ACES/AVID teacher, Dr. Jonathan Clark—also known as Magister Clark and Mr. Clark—has been named EHS Teacher of the Year for the 2023-2024 school year. 

Clark was nominated by his colleagues and then selected by a committee. Described by principal Mr. Charles Ross as “calm” and “hard-working”, Clark is “what’s great about EHS.”

“His selection as teacher of the year is a testament to all he has done for the EHS school community and speaks to his belief in high achievement, for his students and for himself,” said Foreign Language Supervisor Mr. Frank Ruggiero. 

Clark’s initial reaction to the award included elements of surprise and humility. 

“There are so many faculty whom I admire that I think are very deserving of this recognition,” Clark said. “I am aware of many ways in which I would like to be better as a teacher, so I guess the fact that I’m being recognized for doing what I am doing is surprising.”

Despite an initial aversion towards Latin in high school, Clark’s interest in classical languages began in his freshman year of college. Motivated by the challenge of the major and the interest of studying abroad, Clark chose to pursue a classical language major at the end of his sophomore year. “I always give props to anyone who takes it in high school because I was too afraid to take it myself,” he said. 

The challenge that I experience in teaching is one that I have enough satisfaction in that process that I want to keep going and try to get better.

— Dr. Jonathan Clark

Finding the language interesting himself, Clark decided that he wanted to provide the opportunity to study Latin to others as well, thus choosing to begin his teaching career. He enjoys exploring ways the language, as well as its history and culture, have impacted our lives today. 

“Even though they [the Romans] are dead, they talk to us through their language, so it’s our way of communicating with the dead,” said Clark. 

“While many of us consider Latin a dead language, Magister Clark brings it to life with passion and makes his class a truly captivating learning experience,” said Latin 3-H student Rishan Kunadharaju ‘25.

Dr. Jonathan Clark, Edison High School’s Teacher of The Year for the 2023-24 school year. (DR. JONATHAN CLARK)

As a teacher, Clark also enjoys seeing the “lightbulb” turn on in students’ minds, especially after a class period of being challenged. He appreciates his role in moments of understanding. 

“I found it one of the most challenging things I’ve ever done,” Clark said. “I’m willing to keep at it, even though I realize how far I have to go. The challenge that I experience in teaching is one that I have enough satisfaction in that process that I want to keep going and try to get better.”

Outside of teaching, Clark enjoys different outdoor exercises, including jogging, kayaking, and hiking. His favorite places to explore include Lawrence Brook, northeastern Pennsylvania, and the Raritan River. A dedicated and involved member of his community, Clark is the advisor for the Latin Honor Society, Latin Club, and “Sordes,” the gardening club. 

In the future, Clark wants to continue teaching at Edison High and continue his own learning while helping others learn. Whether now or in the future, Clark’s advice to all is simple: “Temptate. Temptate. Temptate.”

Try. Try. Try.