The Student Newspaper of Edison High School

The Eagle's Eye

The Eagle's Eye

The Eagle's Eye

Follow Us on Instagram
Edison High on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram

EHS Hosts Another Successful Multicultural Fair

Meet Edison High’s Many Cultures
ARANIEE SOTHILINGAM ’25
Adedoyin Shittu ’24 (right) and Gianna Maddaloni ’24 (left) presenting the culture of Nigeria, serve Nigerian food, including jollof rice and chicken.

On Friday, January 26, Edison High School’s Diversity and Multiculturalism in the United States class (D&M) hosted their annual Multicultural Fair in the Media Center during periods 11 and 12. The fair featured displays of crafts and cuisines from various cultures around the globe. Students and staff were provided the opportunity to discuss their own experiences and learn about others.

The D&M class, a half-year elective in the history department, allows students to create a project centered around a culturally-relevant topic of their choosing. For instance, one of the many stations at the fair discussed Islamic culture by defining Islam, enumerating the five pillars of Islam, identifying famous Muslim individuals, and providing free translated Quorans.

“January in New Jersey is recognized as Muslim Heritage month,” said Muhammed Taha Shaikh ‘24, a student who ran the Muslim culture station. “It is really important for us, as a public high school, to go over how to talk about religion respectfully and educate people about misconceptions of Islam.”

D&M instructor Ms. Karen Kirkpatrick, echoed Shaikh’s sentiments regarding the promotion of respectful conversations about diversity.

“Most students already recognize the diversity in the school, but this gives an opportunity to learn a little bit more about other cultures, and maybe hear experiences firsthand,” said Kirkpatrick. “Learn, ask questions, talk to your classmates, don’t be afraid of differences, and embrace them, because you’ll probably learn that you guys have more similarities than differences. ”

I am inspired every day in this class.

— Anthony Baio '26

Anthony Baio ‘26, a student running the mixed-race station, embraced Kirkpatrick’s advice.

“The students at the Nigerian culture station were talking about the fried chicken in Nigeria and how the batter is different from the chicken here, which I definitely didn’t know before,” said Baio. “You learn so much coming here and just listening to people.”

• The tri-fold of the Nigerian culture project featured food, clothing, and music.

• The tri-fold project engaged students with fun facts and personalized questions.

• The tri-fold of the project on Muslim Culture explains the geography, background, and beliefs of Islam to educate the students on a religion that is widely represented in America.

• The tri-fold project on popular dishes in countries ranging from India to Mexico was complemented by samples to try.

• The tri-fold of the project spoke on Asian American culture, namely the representation of Asian citizens with clothing and cuisine.

• The tri-fold of the LGBTQ+ project featured snacks displayed in front. The students explained the history of the LGBTQ+ community, as well as celebrities who serve to represent the community within America.

• Aliya Lloyd ’24 (left) details her Beauty project to Tammy Banh ’25 (right).

• Walter Rosenthal ’24 (left) and Joe Chaves ’24 (right) play a duet together on their electric guitars, representing the musical culture within America.

Beyond the Multicultural Fair, it’s important to recognize the opportunities provided by the D&M class.

“I love the diversity. I love this class. Join this class,” said Baio. “We’ve done two field trips already. I got to see an animal shelter with puppies and cats, a pizza party with Sam Joshi, and we went to New York once. It’s very worth it. The work is easy, but it is very inspiring. I am inspired every day in this class.”

Most students already recognize the diversity in the school, but this gives an opportunity to learn a little bit more about other cultures, and maybe hear experiences firsthand,

— Ms. Karen Kirkpatrick