Prescribing Success

AMP Invites PharmD Student
PRAYAGKUMAR PATEL ‘26
AMP Invites Stacey Zhang to tell students about her experience through high school and college.

The Aspiring Medical Professionals (AMP) club at Edison High School is a resource for students with a passion for the medical field. Led by club advisor Ms. Nehan Kumar and club president Raina Patel ‘24, AMP meetings serve as a platform for students to explore their interests and aspirations within the medical profession. These gatherings extend beyond lectures, fostering interactive discussions that deepen students’ understanding of medical specialties and emerging trends.

During a meeting on February 1, AMP welcomed a distinguished alumna, Stacey Zhang ‘20, to share her journey as a pharmacy student. Zhang, currently in her fourth year of a six-year medical program at Rutgers’ Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy, shared her insights and experiences with the audience.

I am curious about how she gives medicine to specific people and how she deals with them.

— Nauman Lakho ‘26

Stacey Zhang tells the students about her choices. (PRAYAGKUMAR PATEL ‘26 & SESHANTH SHYAMSUNDAR ‘27)

Zhang’s journey from Edison High to the School of Pharmacy is marked by her involvement in various extracurricular activities, including serving as the STUCO Class President and President of the Chinese National Honor Society (CNHS), as well as participating in volleyball, Wind Ensemble, and Marching Band. Alongside her academic pursuits, Zhang has also held positions as a pharmacy technician at CVS & RWJ and served as a Women’s Health Medical Affairs Intern at Pfizer, advocating for women’s health.

“I also like volunteering at RWJ and helping out at local hospitals,” said Zhang. “It gives you a lot of experience and also colleges love it.”

Zhang illuminated the diverse opportunities within the pharmacy field, explaining its role as a bridge between doctors and patients. She highlighted the significance of pharmacists as medication experts, ensuring medicine safety and quality while assessing and distributing medication based on patient requirements.

“I am curious about how she gives medicine to specific people and how she deals with them,” said Nauman Lakho ‘26, a student at the talk.

Zhang’s passion for pharmacy stems from its potential for patient impact, consistent interactions, continuous learning, and versatile career paths. She discussed various fields within pharmacy, including community, clinical, and industry settings, each offering unique career opportunities.

Throughout her presentation, Zhang provided invaluable insights into Rutgers’ six-year PharmD program, its rigorous curriculum, and the hands-on experiences it offers. She emphasized the importance of getting involved, building relationships, finding mentors, and staying open-minded to new opportunities.

“I am excited to learn more about the industrial aspect of pharmaceuticals and what actually happens when making the medicine,” said Arya Patel ‘24.

In the Q&A session, Zhang addressed various topics, from time management challenges to the breakdown of the pharmacy program. She shared her struggles adapting to the rigorous program out of high school and provided advice on conducting research in high school and college, college admissions, and the affordability of medical school.

“Always be open-minded, and know there are several opportunities that you do not know about yet,” said Zhang.

AMP’s impact extends beyond guest speakers, with events like the Bleeding Control Workshop showcasing the club’s commitment to practical learning experiences.

The Aspiring Medical Professionals (AMP) club at Edison High School is a resource for students with a passion for the medical field.

Zhang’s visit to AMP offered insights into the pharmaceutical profession and the journey to becoming a pharmacist. As AMP continues to foster a nurturing environment for future medical professionals, students can look forward to more engaging sessions, inspiring guest speakers, and hands-on events that prepare them for success in the dynamic field of healthcare.

Stay tuned for more exciting developments from AMP as it continues to shape the future of aspiring medical professionals at Edison High School.