Categories:

Senior Sunrise Success

Class of 2025 Celebrates their “Last Firsts”
The Class of 2025 arrived at Edison High’s front lawn at around 6 a.m for Senior Sunrise on September 6th.
Senior Class Council

Even clouds could not stop the Class of 2025 from showing their school spirit. This year, the seniors of 2025 arrived at Edison High’s front lawn at around 6 a.m. expecting soft pinks and bright oranges painting the skies. Unexpectedly, dull yellows and grays hung above the school, with the sun hiding behind the clouds. Despite this slight stain, many seniors still arrived for the occasion.

“This year’s turnout was great,” said Assistant Principal Dr. Aurora Loufek. “I got in by 6:10, and there were already a bunch of seniors there. By 6:45, the crowd had grown exponentially.”

“We had a great turnout. Although a bit cloudy, it was a memorable morning to bring seniors together for this tradition,” added Ms. Sinyee Muglia, Class of 2025 Student Council Advisor.

After the lockdown of 2020, Senior Sunrise began with Mr. Piccolo and the Class of 2021,. The event was introduced after the COVID-19 lockdown as a way for people to come together while being safely distanced from each other. 

2025 Senior Class Officers smile at the camera during Senior Sunrise. From left to right: Micaelynne Correia ’25 (Co-Vice President), Sanaya Patel ’25 (Secretary), Shagun Girdhar ’25 (Co-Vice President), Annika Villanueva ’25 (Treasurer), and Sylvia Wu ’25 (President).

Through post-pandemic unity, Senior Sunrise became an established tradition for people of all groups to come together regardless of their established clique. “It doesn’t matter if you’re in sports, band, academics, or have a hard time figuring out what group they’re in. Everyone’s together,” said Class of 2026 Advisor Ms. Taylor Brennan. “The impact that events like this have is loud. Underclassmen look forward to this, as a moment of realizing that, ‘This is where we came. We started together and ended together.’”

For the Class of 2025, Senior Sunrise was a significant gathering, reflecting on their progress throughout high school. 

“I feel as though it was so important for our class to have a senior sunrise because of how far our class has come. Our freshman year definitely had a rough start and it continuously amazes the administration and the board of how far we have all come,“ said Micaelynne Correia ‘25, Class of 2025 Co-Vice President.

Gathering to see the sunrise does not seem as special of an event to some. Some may prefer the excitement and formality of a school dance, or the amusement and humor of an eating contest. But the tranquil Senior Sunrise is where many students decided to spend their “first-last days.” 

“What makes the event special is that it is the first of many lasts in senior year,” said Loufek. “This event marks the first ‘special’ event that seniors get to experience before they leave the nest. It is a time to bond and get excited for the many other special events that will happen this year.” 

Not only was this a positive, heartwarming event to get the year started, it also was the first of many.

“It’s important to have Senior Sunrise because it sets the precedent for the rest of the activities and fundraisers for senior year,” said Class of 2025 President Sylvia Wu ‘25.   “Also, it helps to get some students to school earlier than usual,” 

To ensure the event would run smoothly, the Class of 2025 board began planning at the end of the summer. This included finalizing details such as concessions, activities, and games. 

“We spent a lot of time hashing out the minor details to ensure that the event could be enjoyed by everyone who attended,” said Correia. “This meant waking up super early, and even beating Mr. Ross to work, but it was all worth it.”

Senior Sunrise 2025’s key to success was the sense of community among the senior class.

• (left to right) Mithil Mishra ’25, Bhuvana sri Pasupuleti ’25, and Araniee Sothilingam ’25 smile for a picture at Senior Sunrise.

'
  • Sylvia Wu ’25 (left) and Mithil Mishra ’25 (right) pose with the “Senior Sunrise” frame.

'
  • The Class of 2025 arrived at Edison High’s front lawn at around 6 a.m for Senior Sunrise on September 6th.

'

“I think that this year’s event was such a success not only because of the desire to be involved within our Edison High community but also because everyone has been eager to get involved in the senior festivities and the traditions we hold as eagles,” said Correia. She also mentioned that the activities and variety of concessions offered “[combatted] the tiredness of waking up so early.”

Brandon Chung ‘25, a senior who attended, agreed with the sense of school spirit.

“I think Senior Sunrise was such a success because everyone feels the same way about wanting to make the most of their last year in high school and everyone who showed up as a sense of class pride,” said Chung. 

Anantasree Kandala ‘25 likewise stated that regardless of the early wake up times, her connection with other fellow students overrode the desire to sleep in.

“I wanted to start our final year with a special moment shared with friends,” Kandala said, adding that her favorite part was the “unity and excitement.” Many other seniors concurred that spending time with their friends was their favorite part. 

Alyssa Torrijos ‘25 said that the event’s success could be attributed to this sense of community, as, for instance, “a lot of people went with their friends and carpooled.”

One hitch of the event was the unorganized concession stand. 

“It just felt too congested with no real sense of who was next in line,” said Torrijos. Chung similarly agreed, adding that the cloudy weather, though unable to be controlled, could be regulated. “I think an improvement for next year could be making sure that the date chosen is predicted to have clear skies and try to make the lines more organized at the concession stands.”

Despite a few hurdles, Senior Sunrise proceeded as a successful event, with many gathering together to spend one of their last-first mornings.

“People want to participate in events because it is their last year, and spending time with your friends is incredibly important to balance work and fun, especially with the stress of college applications and preparing for careers,” said Wu.

“This senior class has always shown up—they participate in school spirit events in great numbers. I think the advisor and the student council did a great job informing seniors and getting them excited about the event!” Loufek continued, emphasizing Correia’s point of the Class of 2025’s growth in school spirit and maturity.

“I just want to outright come and say that on behalf of the entire board, we are so thankful for you all waking up super early and coming out to support our class, we are proud of each and every one of you guys,” said Correia. “Fly high, eagles!” 

“This is a senior group that I have followed since they were freshmen and I am extremely fond of this group and proud to see how they have matured over the years,” said Loufek.

Brennan offered some closing remarks.

“At least for this moment,” she reflected, “you have each other.”

$215
$500

$215
$500