New StuCo Board Braces for New Normal

ALEXANDER BELEM ‘21

And the results are in! After the postponed Student Council election back in May, Edison High finally has a new board of students ready to make the 2020-2021 year successful and productive. President Krystal Ramnarine ‘21, Vice President Kristy Ly ‘21, Treasurer is Kelly Cheng ‘21, and Secretary is Maggie Krug ‘21 were the winners of this year’s election process.

The Student Council board is excited about this new school year, especially Secretary Krug. She is most excited about “being able to be in charge of the multitude of events, activities, and fundraisers that we can have this year.”

With the number of new ideas that this board has in store, the Council hopes to increase student participation and engagement in these events. Krug hopes to fix this by including “student’s creative ideas,” giving them the opportunity to have more of a voice this upcoming school year. If any students have ideas for fundraisers or activities, they should make sure to let the Board know. 

While COVID-19 cases are still rising, making the school year feel uncertain, this new Student Council board is prepared to make this year one of the best yet. Determined to “incorporate new traditions suitable for the learning circumstances and safety concerns of this school year,” Treasurer Cheng is excited for the new school year and the activities she has planned. She proposes “a fair set up outside, a battle of the classes, movie night on the football field” to get students involved amidst the pandemic.

“With everything so uncertain right now, my main priority is to maintain a sense of community within the student body by creating new and exciting events that everyone, from athletes to artists, can enjoy.”

KRYSTAL RAMNARINE ’21

Some events have already happened, and done so successfully.

“The board and I wanted to still have a Halloween contest this year, but obviously having one in-person was out of the question. So we decided to have one online!” said Ly. The new officers have been able to uphold Edison High traditions while continuing to follow COVID-19 guidelines.

“With everything so uncertain right now, my main priority is to maintain a sense of community within the student body by creating new and exciting events that everyone, from athletes to artists, can enjoy,” says Ramnarine. Hoping to bring everyone in the school together, she is excited for the events she has planned for this upcoming school year.

While the pandemic and remote learning are not the ideal way to spend this school year, Ramnarine is still excited about “having the opportunity to build upon the events we’ve had in the past in ways that wouldn’t be possible during a normal school year.”

The new Student Council Board is excited to start this new year and show everyone the new events they have planned for the school community.