Amidst Pandemic, EHS Dancers Put On Stunning Performance

On April 30 and May 1, 2021, the Edison High School Dance students performed at their Second Annual Dance Show. The performances took place in the EHS auditorium at 6:30 p.m. on April 30 and 7:00 p.m. on May 1.

Members of the dance program and the after-school dance ensemble worked hard in the months leading up to these two performances to prepare their individual choreographies and performances. Although the COVID-19 pandemic resulted in distance between the performers as they were preparing, they were able to overcome this complication and perform together once reunited. The director, Ms. Vicki Jenkins, highlighted this feat after the performance. “I can probably count the amount of times we had in-person rehearsal on one hand: That was on Zoom, so kudos to [the dancers],” she said.

The performances included student choreographies, with the Dance 4 senior students choreographing their own performances and performing with other students. Many of these students used this choreography opportunity to express their struggles during the current pandemic, which has uprooted many lives and livelihoods over the past year.

The Dance program at Edison High School was established three years ago by Jenkins, and has grown significantly since its inception. This year, Edison High School started a chapter of the National Honors Society for Dance. The first ever induction ceremony for the National Honors Society was held during the show. The seniors were rewarded for their performance by getting inducted into the Dance National Honors Society.

“Honestly, the dance show was one of the best parts of this year for me. I made so many new friends and although it was stressful at times, it was always fun knowing that this was something I could count on to still make me happy,” said Sneha Rajagopalan ‘23. “Performing is the best feeling, especially with dance, because you put your heart and soul into it and it makes you feel so good to just leave everything on the dance floor.”

“…you put your heart and soul into it and it makes you feel so good to just leave everything on the dance floor.”

Sneha Rajagopalan ‘23

Altogether, the dance show displayed the talents and efforts of all the participating dancers, the culmination of months of hard work and resilience in the face of adverse conditions.