Eagles at FCCLA’s Fall Leadership Connection

SAMITA PANDIT '22

So you might be wondering, what is FCCLA? FCCLA stands for Family, Career, and Community Leaders of America and is a nationally recognized, nonprofit organization for students interested in the Family and Consumer Sciences. This organization helps students and teachers focus their attention on a myriad of youth concerns such as family relationships, peer pressure, sustainability, and many others. As one of the many wonderful clubs Edison High has to offer, students participate in various competitive events or make presentations that deal with common issues among teenagers today. Through this program, students have the opportunity to be the leaders of their society and the world around them as well as develop the life skills needed at home and in the workplace. 

This year’s Fall Leadership Connection took place on November 25 at Pines Manor.  The competitors were able to choose from a wide range of competitions under four categories: Foods and Nutrition Events, Child Growth and Development Events, Fashion/Interior Design Events, and Leadership Events. 

As a result of taking part in this competition, the Eagles learned more public speaking skills by formally presenting their findings to the attendees. After much success in the Apple Bake Off, Sana Tawa ‘20 received a silver medal as well as a scholarship! In the Cupcake Challenge from the Junior Category, Krishita Laungani ‘22 and Iliana Jimenez ‘22 earned a silver medal for their peach cupcakes with vanilla frosting. Medhasri Veldurthi ‘21 and Dhvani Patel ‘21 received a gold medal for their “Tune Into FCCLA” video about the negative effects of tobacco and e-cigarette use. Because of the tough competition, some of the other Eagles were unable to win the topmost places but understood the their projects’ shortcoming for next time. 

Charles Ross, the principal of Edison High, expressed great pride toward the work of the students. He thoroughly believes that “the skills developed through participation in FCCLA are important experiences for teenagers…because it offers them the chance to speak up while with other people of the same age from different areas.” And although not all the Eagles were able to secure top places in competitions, he encourages everyone to “continue to work hard and to look at the competition to better themselves for the spring conference.” He looks forward to seeing a good group of students present their voices and experience a competitive environment with their peers at the spring conference. With this, the participants and Mr. Ross could say that the 2019 Fall Leadership Connection was a success. Congratulations to all the competitors!

PS: Mr. Ross believes that red velvet is not a flavor!