Edison Eagles Enter the Nest of Science

For the first time in its history, Edison High School entered a competitive team into the regional Science Olympiad Competition at Union County College, held this year on January 7. Led by Shruti Garg ‘20 and Mrs. Kruti Singh and Mr. Martin Goldman of the Science Department, the team consisted of eighteen members and one alternate–many of whom are members of STEM Academy at Edison High School. These participants prepared to undertake a selection of the fourteen events situated in various disciplines of science and engineering. 

Some examples of available events included astronomy, anatomy and physiology, ping pong parachute, chem lab, circuit lab, and protein modeling. Members of the team spent both individual and collective group time studying, preparing, and building over the past few months in preparation for the meet. Individuals thus applied their knowledge in their respective tasks to complete written tests, lab work, stations, and building challenges. 

Out of the 27 competing schools in the region, including long time Science Olympiad competitors John P. Stevens High School, South Brunswick High School, Middlesex Academy for Science, Math, Engineering, and Technology, and Princeton High School, Edison High School placed tenth. In addition, the team medaled in the top six for four individual events, including fourth place for Write-It-Do-It, fifth place for Dynamic Planet, and sixth place for Disease Detectives and Botany. Medalists included Ishani Kunadharaju ‘22, Nikhil Sambasiva ‘23, Vasumathi Venkat ‘22, Pragya Singh ‘23, Yash Mandavia ‘22, and Srinidhi Venkatesh ‘22. Edison also qualified for the New Jersey Science Olympiad State Competition and will be attending on March 10 at Middlesex County College.

As a team, they also hope to cultivate interest in the sciences for more students at EHS. As for next year, the team hopes to grow and improve based on their experiences this year and go to the competition better prepared to win more events. One founding team member aptly said, “Although this year was our first competition, I’m incredibly proud of everyone’s determination, dedication, and drive. Next year, I’m confident that we will surpass this year’s success.”