Goodbye Chromebooks, Hello MacBooks!

Transitioning from middle school to high school can be daunting in many ways. While there are many universal challenges students have to face such as switching physical schools or handling more school work, Edison students also have to transition the technology they use throughout the school year.

Instead of Chromebooks, high school students received the MacBook Air in previous years. This year, students will be receiving a MacBook Air yet again, however this time with an M1 processor chip. While it is difficult to touch upon the details of the new MacBooks just yet, students can anticipate the arrival of these new devices by hearing about prior student experiences with the MacBooks.

Jayesh Chaurasia ‘23, a member of the tech department for all-digital The Eagle’s Eye, said, “Changing from a Chromebook to a MacBook can be overwhelming but exciting at the same time. When you receive your MacBooks, the best thing to do would be to utilize them as much as possible.”

While students have had many great experiences with the MacBooks, they have had their share of problems as well. For example, the MacBooks would restart often. This inconvenience has often led to a fair share of frustration due to the inevitable delay of completing schoolwork. Another occasional issue was that some educational videos were blocked on the MacBooks, which made it challenging to get assignments done.

With this new technology it is important to keep in mind that it is possible seek out help whenever issues arise with the MacBooks. If your MacBook needs repair, be sure to put in a help ticket using the IncidentIQ app on the toolbar or in the Launchpad.

There are many benefits to the MacBooks as well. They are substantially less heavy and bulky, which can make carrying them around the school more convenient. Also, students have access to editing platforms such as iMovie and Adobe Premiere, which can be helpful when working on more involved school projects.

In addition, the MacBook screen is larger and brighter than the Chromebooks, making the process of getting work done more efficient. This year’s new models have extended battery life, but charge them at night anyway—there are limited outlets in classrooms! For students who appreciate customization, MacBooks have many more case and keyboard cover options. Appropriate stickers on cases are allowed as well.

“Try getting used to all aspects of the MacBook,” Chaurasia said, “by looking at all the features and getting yourself used to the device. Understanding the MacBook would be helpful during the beginning of the school year as you can focus on class rather than trying to fix or understand a feature.”