Gabriel Romero: Edison High’s First Male Cheerleading Captain

LAUREN DICK ‘22 and ALVIN WU ‘24

For the first time in Edison High School history, the cheerleading team has a male captain: Gabriel Romero ‘22. Romero’s role in leading the cheerleading team reflects how sports at Edison High have become more gender-neutral.  

Romero has hesitated before because of the prejudice that he has faced being a male cheerleader, especially since he received his leadership position. “I’ve been in love with cheer since 7th grade, but honestly didn’t start until freshman year,” said Romero. He was interested in cheerleading when the coaches visited his middle school in 8th grade but was worried about bullying.

“A teacher of mine encouraged me to go and to not give in to what people think,” Romero said. He added, “I went down to the meeting and was about to open the door, but didn’t open it and ran back to my teacher’s classroom.”

Romero has since persevered despite his concerns. Although there are many activities that he does not always feel like he can comfortably participate in, his team has unconditionally supported him. “People have been closed-minded and made lots of comments about me, making it hard for me to feel motivated and comfortable,” he said. “But the girls on my team are my family and they make it all worth it.”  

“Cheer is my life, and I couldn’t imagine my life without it.”

— Gabriel Romero '22

Romero handles the obligations and pressure of being captain by reminding himself why he does cheerleading and the support he gets from his team.

“What I like about being captain is that I have a sense of leadership,” he said. “Ever since I started being on the team, I always felt so much attachment and love to the sport, and I’ve always wanted a sense of leadership within it. It’s what I love to do, and I know what’s best for the team.” 

Romero is involved in various activities outside of cheerleading; he also participates in the Edison High theatre department. He joined theatre during freshman year and was a featured dancer in his freshman year musical Curtains. He was also intended to be a featured dancer in Guys and Dolls his sophomore year. He says that theatre helped him feel more comfortable to join cheer and be a more active participant. Outside of school, he works as an intern at a law office. 

Romero will continue on his cheerleading journey after high school. He has been personally offered an application by the Nation Cheer Association of America, and is currently choosing a university in Florida at which he plans to cheer at the Division 1 level. Although he plans to major in psychology and sociology and minor in business,