Relationships in the Nest

Alyson Zhang '22

Two people embrace in a heart with a background of “love” in different languages.

AVA YAP ‘23

As young adults reach high school, they are introduced to a new sphere of people. Students who told their parents in 6th grade that they will never ever date get older and start to form crushes on peers or friends that may make them happy. Dating is new, fun, and an exciting experience for students across the globe. According to Pew Research, around one in three teenagers have experience in a romantic relationship in high school. While walking the halls of Edison High, every turn yields at least one happy couple holding hands on their way to class, a simple sign of support in relationships.

With college applications looming and a high GPA on the radar, many students believe they do not have time to maintain a relationship with someone. Parents attempt to deter their children from “losing focus” from their studies and focus on the bright future ahead of them. However, many other parents see the joy that a significant other brings their child and are in support of having their young adult have another person in their corner to cheer them on.

With so many people in the nest and on Earth, someone is meant for you.

The Eagle’s Eye spoke with Senior Superlative winners of Cutest Couple, Jenna Rivella ‘22 and Brian Poandl ‘22, on their opinions of relationships at the nest. They emphasized the benefits of self-awareness and mental health in a high school relationship.

“I think having someone to share your life with improves it all around. It makes you a better person because you try to be better for them,” Poandl said. Poandl and Rivella have been together for close to two years. They have pushed each other to be their best selves, receiving AB honor roll and varsity letters.

The support from a relationship incites motivation and more positivity from day to day. “You don’t want to let down your partner because it’s kind of embarrassing if you fail one of your classes. If they’re a good partner they’re looking out for you, and want the best for you,” Rivella replied. The key to maintaining a relationship that helps and not harms a person, the couple claims, is trust. “If you can establish trust between one another, you can really be yourself,” Rivella added.

Single, in a relationship, or somewhere in between, students at the nest rely on each other to support one another. Whether you believe in soulmates or not, spend this Valentine’s Day knowing that this world is massive.