Michael Piccolo: Teacher of the Year 2021 -2022

Chisom Ihezue

Micheal Piccolo in his business classroom.

The 2021-2022 Teacher of the Year is the passionate, determined and enthusiastic teacher Micheal Piccolo! Mr. Piccolo has taught for almost six years and worked in the Finance Industry for over thirty. He attended several different colleges such as Rartian Valley Community College Major in Business (AA), Rutgers University, New Brunswick Major in Economics (BS) and University of Phoenix with a major in Business Administration (MBA). 

Edison High School was Mr. Piccolo’s first full-time teaching job. Upon leaving the finance industry, he decided to give back to the younger generation and pursue his original plan from high school. He aimed to combine book theory and real life experiences to create an immersive learning experience for students.

He currently teaches Business Law and Ethics, Multimedia, Economics, Intro to Business, Business Management, Business Application, Personal Finance, and ACES.

His advice for aspiring teachers is “to make sure that teaching is your passion. Do not expect that you can come in and ‘change the world’ because that does not happen. Let students know that you are there for them and that you respect them. In turn, you will earn their respect. Be the teacher you always want to have.”

Referring to his achievement, he said, “I am both elated and proud. Delighted that there are so many great teachers here at EHS and to be chosen is an honor. Proud that my abilities and efforts are being acknowledged and appreciated.”

Make sure that teaching is your passion. Do not expect that you can come in and ‘change the world’ because that does not happen. Let students know that you are there for them and that you respect them. In turn you will earn their respect. Be the teacher you always want to have.

— Mr. Piccolo

He claims, “ I love having the opportunity to help students expand their knowledge and prepare them for what awaits them outside of the four walls of EHS. I have always felt that there are two keys to being a successful teacher:

1) Respect the students and they will respect you.

2) Get to know your students on a personal level. 

The more you know about a student, the more opportunity there is to include their interests in lessons.”