Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler: EHS Celebrates Mardi Gras

National French Honors Society’s Mardi Gras Parade

ADEDOYIN AYENI '23

From February 23 to February 24, the National French Honor Society held a Mardi Gras parade in partnership with the Child Growth and Development class at Edison High School. Mardi Gras is a holiday that celebrates spring and fertility. The events include the Carnival celebration, beginning on or after the Christian feasts of the Epiphany and culminating on the day before Ash Wednesday—known as Shrove Tuesday. It is also commonly known as “Fat Tuesday” because people celebrate the day by eating fatty foods such as cakes, cookies, muffins, and other sweets all over the world. Parades and parties are held to celebrate this French tradition. 

“The Mardi Gras celebration was a very fun opportunity to work with the children and spread French culture. We made masks and floats, and both the volunteers and the kids had a lot of fun with it,” said Sarina Ahmed ’23

It was something different but fun and it was a good break from school work as well.

— Evin Maciel ’23

This was the first major event held by the French National Honor Society in 2022, and many members gained an opportunity to receive volunteering hours for their efforts. On the day of the parade, kids walked around the school pulling their floats and wearing their masks. Students found it exciting to work with their other friends in the Child Growth and Development class while bringing the spirits of Mardi Gras to the school.

“I truly enjoyed bringing smiles to the kid’s faces. It was super fun, and I enjoyed helping the children. I also liked the fact that we worked together with the child development class because many of my friends take that class so it was enjoyable. Overall, I had a great time and I hope that FHS [French Honors Society] does this again next year,” said Rohan Arestani ‘23.   

“I definitely enjoyed making masks and floats with the children. It was a new and great experience to have. It was something different but fun and it was a good break from school work as well. I would attend another event like this in the future. This was very wholesome, and I think it was a good experience for the kids and for all the French Honor Society members,” said Evin Maciel ’23.

And for many EHS high school students, Mardi Gras proved to be a chance to unite with the school’s littles Eagles.

“It’s been so long since I interacted with young children so it was a good change,” said Advay Kadam ‘23.