A Tribute to the Past

EHS Class of 1970 Reunion

ARCHANA MARYADA '25

Reunion at the Pines Manor Banquet Hall.

On Saturday, April 30, 2022, the Edison High School Class of 1970 held its 50th reunion, which was delayed two years due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Alumni from all walks of life–from Broadway to healthcare–rejoiced as they embraced the nostalgia, decades in the making. 

Organized by Mickey Diener ‘70, Linda Donato Kennedy ‘70, and Beverly Taylor Kingsbury ‘70, the event took place in the Pines Manor Banquet Hall. The committee had been planning the event since the idea’s inception in April of 2019. Since then, the three collaborated to make the night come together. Each of the former classmates participated in constructing and leading the event in some way–one served as an emcee while another said a speech. 

Setting an appropriate date to hold the event was especially of much debate considering that many classmates flew in from out of the state in order to attend: forty attendees live in Florida, 203 remain in New Jersey, 21 live in Pennsylvania, fifteen live in North Carolina, and many others reside in towns throughout the nation. 

Despite the geographical distance among alumni now, they shared laughs as they revisited their teenage years. John Kirkpatrick ‘70, who was a track star in high school and was regarded by many of his classmates as outgoing, said, “I remember all the friends, and how we always took care of each other. We had each other’s backs during tough times and good times. We always stuck together.”

The bond of the class of ‘70 appears just as impenetrable as it did when the class first left Edison to build their adult lives. During the time that they attended high school, students had less pressure on planning their futures. Though students now feel the need to uphold extremely high expectations in competitive environments, life at early Edison High was about passion. 

“I didn’t really have goals. I just wanted to be an actor, and I went to do that,” said Daniel “Danny” Tamm ‘70. “I went to the Juilliard School for a season and went to college for a season. But, I was really impatient. I went hitchhiking around the country for two years. Then, I came back to New York to start work as an actor.” 

Tamm and his good friend Joe Flaherty ‘70 teared up as they remembered their music director, Mr. Winston Hughes, who encouraged them to pursue their dreams of acting. They remarked that Hughes was not only an influential teacher, but also a good friend.

Be courageous. Be brave. When you see an opportunity, take it. It might not take you exactly where you thought you were going, but it might take you where you need to be…Do what you want because life is too short to do anything else and you can do anything you want to do.

— Arlene August Burns ‘70

Tamm eventually had a featured role on Broadway, starring with Academy Award-winning actress Katharine Hepburn. From traveling the world to acting to finding his faith, Tamm took a trip down memory lane. 

Another member of the class had goals of flying. 

“I was thinking of joining the Air Force to be a helicopter pilot, but I did not. When I went home, my father said get your bottom out of the house and get a job. I worked in Edison for 3 years at Twin County Grocers,” said Rick Kirkaldy ‘70.​​

Alums like Kirkaldy and Tamm received name tags with their prior student ID picture and full name written. Items such as gift cards and EHS merchandise were distributed through a raffle giveaway that was announced later that night. There was also a photo booth with props for the attendees to capture the night in memorable photos. In the banquet hall, DJ Don Dazzo played classic ‘70s music such as “Come Saturday Morning” and “Lay Lady Lay,” and attendees had the opportunity to dance.

A buffet was served with numerous varieties of food like salads, meat, and fruit. During dinner, emcee Mr. Jim Fagan presented a speech for the alumni to reminisce on their high school careers. Kathy Ballas ‘70, the year’s Student Council Class President, also shared her thoughts about the reunion and noted her gratitude for having the ability to enjoy a gathering even after many decades.

Tables were decorated with copies of the June 5, 1970, EHS yearbook, a reprint of the class’ last newspaper publication, and colorful wristbands. Original reprints of EHS newspapers, The Eagle, published in 1970 were set on tables for guests to read. Headlines included “ETHS Students Express Ideas for School’s Improvement Next Year” and “Pollutions Study Becomes Student Concern”, and a student-drawn cartoon mocked the lack of parking space at the school.

In the banquet hall, there was a memorial for individuals in the Class of 1970 who passed away, and a display was set up in the hall for alumni to remember their past classmates. Those that had lost their lives serving for the United States’ armed forces (in Vietnam and then later in Iraq) were given special recognition and a moment of silence. 

A series of events had been planned for all the attendees– including a tribute reading for a classmate that had passed away, information and jokes about their class, and a raffle with cash prizes–but the true centerpiece was simply the sight of old friends meeting. Forever EHS students at heart, the attendees reminisced about their sentimental high school experiences and shared the details of  their current lives. 

“We started an alternative drama club, and we put on a play about Charlie Brown. That was a great success and a pure joy to do!” Arlene August Burns ‘70 said. After high school, she pursued a couple of different career paths. “I traveled around the world and worked in twenty-seven countries. I wrote a book that’s translated into forty-five languages on women’s health. Now, I’m an artist,” added Burns.

Advice the alum had for current EHS students was plenty. 

We had each other’s backs during tough times and good times. We always stuck together.

— John Kirkpatrick ‘70

“Be courageous. Be brave. When you see an opportunity, take it. It might not take you exactly where you thought you were going, but it might take you where you need to be…Do what you want because life is too short to do anything else and you can do anything you want to do,” said Burns.

It is clear that the class of 1970 has followed through on its own advice. 

For images, contacts, and further details, check out the organizers’ website at  https://ehs70classreunion.com/