Driving Into the Past

EHS Choir’s Car Show

NICHOLAS NGUYEN '23

Trophies for the contestants at the EHS Car Show.

MEHER MEHTA '25

The sun beat down on Edison High School as people swarmed around the school’s parking lot as old-time hits played in the background.  The EHS Choir’s Car Show took place on May 21, 2022 in partnership with the Hollywood Night Cruisers.  Parents, students, and senior citizens all came to support the school’s choir by showcasing their cars, buying food, or purchasing raffle tickets, and choir students were required to help with setting up.

Violet Bak ‘25 said, “It [setting up] was pretty chaotic, but it really brought a sense of community in the choir.  It’s just the small things like that.”

Kishmish Qazi ‘25 added, “It was a team effort and everyone had to volunteer to bring something or to help out at the actual event.”

The choir members ended up donating items such as cupcakes, cookies, and brownies.  Raffle tickets for the Tricky Tray were also sold alongside the treats.

The Tricky Tray, a fundraising game in which one can win raffles, consisted of donated baskets from various places around Edison.  For example, the Choir donated a basket dedicated to graduation and a basket dedicated to pet toys/supplies while Salon 1012 on the Avenue donated two facial masks, one hair mask, and a pass for a free haircut.

• The front of the 1987 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 displaying the engine.

• Mr Santeargo Brown grilling sausages and burgers for the Choir Auto Show.

• The inside of a 1987 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 having a nice bright red interior.

• A close up view of the engine area of the 1987 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 with pictures and certificate provided by the owner.

• An infographic sign provided by the owner of the 1967 Chevrolet Camaro with details on the car.

• A close up view of the engine of the 1967 Chevrolet Camaro and a photo book of the before and after of the car being worked on.

• The inside of the 1967 Chevrolet Camaro with a nice and sleek black interior.

On the other side of the street, Mr. Santeargo Brown, a security guard at EHS, set up his barbecue. As part of the festivities, he grilled and served hotdogs and chicken wings for guests flocking to his table. Brown’s cooking seemed to be a hit.

Nevertheless, the highlight of the event was the cars.  People from all over Edison brought their cars—old and new—to present at the event.

One of these people was Mr. Joseph Langellotti, who bought his 1987 Chevrolet Camaro Z28. “I’m from Edison, so anything to support EHS.”

He also expressed his love for the car’s uniqueness.  “The wooden dash is my favorite part.  You’ll never see that on a Camaro.”

Langellotti also shared a few of his many special moments in his car.  “I guess one of my favorite memories would be my daughter’s senior prom.  I loaned my car to her date and said, ‘If you crash it, I’ll kill you!’”

Other cars at the event included a 1939 Ford Coupe, a 1979 Ford Thunderbird, a 1967 Chevrolet Camaro, and a 2001 Corvette Coupe.  

Overall, the event seemed to be a big hit with the students.  Preeti Bijlani ‘25 said, “I really enjoyed the old-time hits they played.  I thought it was really different from anything else I’ve seen at an event.”

Sara Nasrullah ‘25 added, “Honestly, I really enjoyed seeing the different types of cars.  Even though it was extremely hot, I thought it was a really nice event to come out to.  It was nice to see people I know coming together to have a good time.”

Mr. Joshua Lisner, the choir director at EHS, also expressed his feelings about the event.  “I think it was very successful.  We [The EHS choir department] are very happy to have partnered with Hollywood Night Cruisers.  Mr. Brown’s cooking was wonderful, and it was overall a great event.  I would hope to do it again next year, and we would probably keep everything the same—maybe we would pick a cooler day, though.”