A Memorable Display of Black History

Dance+Ensemble

JESSICA PELAEZ '23

Dance Ensemble

It is no secret that staff, teachers, and students at Edison High strive to maintain a diverse representation of all groups at Edison High School. From the Gay-Straight Alliance’s efforts to give the LGBTQ+ community a voice, to the Muslim Students Association’s work to create a welcoming Muslim community, EHS strives to empower its diverse students. This February—Black History Month—the focus was on the Black History Month Showcase, organized by the Black Student Union (BSU) to honor and appreciate historically overlooked Black culture.

The showcase, essentially a talent show dedicated to Black History Month, encompassed a variety of performances. Performances included songs and dances with Black origins, a fashion presentation of Black culture hairstyles, and speeches by students on prominent Black artists, such as Ernie Barnes, Basquiat, Annie Lee, Gordon Parks, and Julia Lopez.

“We see the more horrific side of Black history such as slavery but with the assembly, we show the light, we show the power we have,”

“We see the more horrific side of Black history such as slavery but with the assembly, we show the light, we show the power we have.”

— Jade Boateng ‘23

The significance of this showcase in cherishing Black history was felt by many participating teachers, staff, and students. For instance, Jade Boateng ‘23, President of the Black Student Union, believes that the showcase serves to “remind everyone how important the Black people around them are and how powerful [Black] culture is.” She believes that the 28 days spent during Black History Month in showing gratitude to Black people are essential and that the showcase “reminds you why we celebrate Black History Month.” She also believes that the showcase remedies some of the education system’s past failure to express the power of Black culture

“We see the more horrific side of Black history such as slavery but with the assembly, we show the light, we show the power we have,” Boateng added. 

Adedoyin Ayeni ‘23 performed the Black National Anthem on her clarinet.

“I was able to share a part of who I am with our school through something I’ve worked on for many years. I love advocating and being able to stand up for others so any opportunity to showcase Black people is amazing!” said Ayeni.

Breanna Smithen ‘26, a member of the Black Student Union, appreciates how the showcase was organized by Black people, saying that it “highlighted Black voices effectively because it was collaborated on by the Black students, staff, and allies who made sure to represent the community’s voice accurately.”

This showcase of Black culture, identity, power, and history was a powerful reminder of Black influence in music, art, and history for the teachers, staff, and students of EHS. A reminder planned, presented, and metaphorically owned by the correct stakeholders.