The Joys and Gratitude of Baking: A Peppermint Bark Recipe

Saira Mohid ’26
The peppermint bark has been chilled and cracked into uneven pieces.

In terms of holiday enthusiasm and baking, the best time of year has officially begun! Although winter’s frigid temperatures may darken your mood, few activities are better than residing in the comfort of your home and baking a delicious treat. The warm oven heat combined with the familiar and welcoming aroma of baked goods is sure to cure one’s winter blues.

Peppermint bark is one of the easiest holiday treats to make and is very popular because of its simplicity and versatility.

Holiday treats extend beyond a simple dessert: They bring comfort, joy, and familiarity. In short, they bring people together.

Still, baking may seem stressful at times with the importance of timing and exact measurements and clean-up. Peppermint bark, however, is one of the easiest holiday treats to make and is very popular because of its simplicity and versatility. This treat— with less than five ingredients—takes less time than preparing cookies or cupcakes. There is no baking involved, and all you need is a stove and/or microwave.

If you’ve never made peppermint bark homemade before, now is the perfect time to try it out!

During this year’s holiday season, take some time off to relax, spend time with your loved ones, and try out this delicious recipe. The instructions and ingredients below are from Sara Welch’s blog Dinner at the Zoo.

Ingredients:
12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips or chopped semi-sweet chocolate
16 ounces white chocolate chips or chopped white chocolate
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
3/4 cup crushed candy canes

Instructions:
Place the semi-sweet chocolate chips in a medium bowl and microwave for 30-second increments until melted. Stir until smooth.
Spread the chocolate into a roughly 9″x 13″ rectangle on a piece of parchment paper. Place the chocolate in the fridge for 10 minutes to partially set. Do NOT go past 10 minutes in the fridge. The chocolate should be set around the edges but partially melted in the middle. If you let the semi-sweet layer harden completely, the white chocolate may not stick to it.
Place the white chocolate chips in a medium bowl and microwave for 30-second increments until melted. Add the peppermint extract and stir until smooth.
Spread the white chocolate over the semi-sweet chocolate layer. Top with candy canes. Let harden in the fridge for about 20 minutes or until the chocolate is completely set.
Remove from the fridge and let the bark sit at room temperature for about 20 minutes. Use a straight-edge chef’s knife to cut the bark into pieces by cutting straight down through the layers of the bark. Serve and enjoy!

• The milk chocolate has been spread into a thin layer.

• A dozen candy canes are crushed to top the bark. A tip for anyone who wants to try out this recipe: Avoid using something sharp like a meat mallet that will puncture the bag and make a mess!

• The bark has been chilled, and the toppings–crushed candy canes and sprinkles–have been added on top for a pop of color.

A NOTE FROM THE EAGLE’S EYE: Year after year, the staff at Edison High works tirelessly to ensure that our time spent at school is progressive and beneficial. The Eagle’s Eye would like to express our gratitude and appreciation for all of your hard work and dedication to the Edison High community. It truly is incredible how we can all come together in camaraderie and learn from one another. As a token of our appreciation, please sample this recipe in various offices and faculty rooms throughout the school. Happy Holidays!