Andriano’s Advice: Empower Growth

HASINI VUMMAJI ’27
Ms. Andriano teaches rules of signs to her freshmen STEM Algebra 2H class in period 12. She focuses on teaching her students step by step, as their understanding of the lesson is of utmost importance to her.

A Pre-Calculus and Algebra 2 Honors teacher at Edison High School, Ms. Andriano has seventeen years of experience and expert advice for students who have a lot on their plate:

“When you are stressing out or struggling with doing something, take a minute to breathe and be proud of all your accomplishments. This will give you confidence to go back and overcome the challenge with a clear mind,” she said.

With the increasing competition for college admissions, the instructor at Yvonne’s School of Dance in Metuchen believes that many students are too stressed about maintaining a high GPA, scoring well on tests, and being involved in extracurricular activities. The co-advisor of the National Honors Society believes that under this blanket of complexities, students often forget to breathe and appreciate their achievements. She explains that students forget that school is more than just acing exams and taking every extracurricular to impress colleges; school also exists to learn about social skills, time management, and learning about strengths and weaknesses.

“My freshman year was very overwhelming. I was in all honors classes, playing tennis, participating in the school musical, running track, and participating in the student council. Outside of school, I was dancing competitively,” said Andriano. “There were moments in my freshman year where I broke, because of the pressure I put on myself. So, my mother talked to me and reminded me that grades are very important, but they aren’t everything. Be proud of what you have so far. Just breathe.”

When you are stressing out or struggling with doing something, take a minute to breathe and be proud of all your accomplishments.

— Ms. Danielle Andriano

To conclude, Andriano believes that taking on an excess number of extracurricular activities while pressuring oneself to get good grades is extremely stressful. She says this stress can turn into success by taking a moment, reflecting on attainments, and understanding the multifaceted nature of the high school experience.