Eagles Prevail Over Eagles

Edison Beats Out Edison Magnet to Keep Undefeated Tennis Record
ADARSH GODAVARTHI ’26
Ashmit Gandhi ’26 follows through on a forehand as he readies himself to return the ball.

On Monday, April 15, the Edison High tennis team celebrated their second season victory against the Edison Academy Magnet School. In a 4–1 triumph, Edison overcame a loss in the first match to defeat Edison Magnet.

Coming off of a 3–2 victory against Iselin Kennedy, the Eagles looked to follow up with another victory and continue their undefeated start to the season. The first singles matchup featured Sarvesh Premkumar ‘25 against Vaibhav Venkatesan ‘26 of Edison Magnet. Premkumar would end up losing this match in two sets. The score read 6–2 for the first set, and 6–0 for the second, both sets being won by Venkatesan.

Sarvesh Premkumaar ’24 observes the court while preparing to serve his opening set. (ADARSH GODAVARTHI ’26)

Chetan Kallam ‘26 was up against Pranav Joshi ‘24 from Edison Magnet in the next singles matchup. Kallam would have a 3–6 loss in the first set of the match, but would go on to win the second set with a score of 6–2, along with the third set tiebreak.

The third singles matchup viewed efforts from Pranav Srinivasan ‘27 of EHS and Muye Chen ‘27 of the Edison Magnet School. Srinivasan emerged victorious, defeating Chen in two sets, scoring 6–1 and 6–2 respectively.

“I played some of my best tennis of the year and am very proud of the result,” said Srinivasan regarding his victory. “I served well and was extremely resilient throughout the game en route to getting the straight-set victory.”

The next match was the first doubles matchup, where Edison’s Bijan Urakov ‘27 and Billy Wu ‘26 played against Edison Magnet’s Ayush Tripathi ‘25 and Rahul Jain ‘24. Urakov and Wu claimed victory, winning 6–3 in the first set and 7–5 in the second.

The last match was the second doubles matchup, where Arya Patel ‘24 and Ishaan Shetty ‘24 were pitted against Sai Minnal ‘25 and Namit Agarwal ‘24 of Edison Academy. The Eagles lost the first set 3–6. However, Patel and Shetty made a comeback, winning a close second set in a tiebreaker, 11–9. Patel and Shetty won the third set tiebreaker 10–6, securing the victory.

Game statistics can be found on NJ.com.