The Student Newspaper of Edison High School

The Eagle's Eye

The Eagle's Eye

The Eagle's Eye

Choices, Choices

Annual Extracurricular Activities Fair
At+the+start+of+every+year%2C+EHS+hosts+the+Co-Curricular+Activities+Fair+to+give+students+a+look+at+the+schools+club+offerings.+
Rhianna Bose ’24
At the start of every year, EHS hosts the Co-Curricular Activities Fair to give students a look at the school’s club offerings.

On October 5 of this year, Edison High School will have its annual club activity fair, showcasing prospective clubs that Eagles will want to join. This is an opportunity to join extracurricular activities to get more involved with school, socialize and become familiar with classmates, and earn volunteer hours.

The club activity fair will have stands from all of Edison High’ clubs and extracurricular organizations. Students will get to know more about that specific club and will be able to get information regarding joining. It is a way to better a student’s high school experience at Edison High and become involved with the school community. Some of the more well-known clubs/organizations at Edison High include The Eagle’s Eye newspaper, UNICEF, Robotics, Model UN, the Peacock Society, FCCLA, E-Sports, the Theatre Department, and DECA.

Eagle’s Eye
The Eagle’s Eye is a student-run newspaper website that has in fact won multiple awards over the course of its existence. They meet usually on Wednesdays and offer many opportunities to be involved in the Edison High community. The Eagle’s Eye is a chance for students to get their voices heard, improve their writing, and meet new people.

Film Club
The Film Club focuses on taking pictures of school events and showing the school’s community events taking place at Edison High. Specifically, the Film Club has taken pictures for numerous Eagle’s Eye articles. For example, Graduation 2023, Badminton for Charity, Senior Night Awards, Jazz Festival, Dance Showcase, Fall Pep Rally 2023, and Homecoming 2023. These are not the only pictures and events that the Film Club is involved in, by joining students can expect to take part in other school events/activities.

UNICEF
UNICEF is a club that offers volunteer hours and also allows students to raise money and donate things to a good cause. For example, UNICEF holds a blood drive every year to donate blood to those who may need it. Overall, it is a chance for students to do good for the community and earn volunteer hours.

Robotics
Robotics is a club offered for those interested in robotics or technical tools and is also an opportunity to meet others with similar interests. In 2022, the Robotics Club reached the New Jersey State Championship.

Model United Nationals (Model UN)
Model UN is a club for those interested in utilizing or improving their research, public speaking, debating, critical thinking, teamwork, and leadership abilities. It is a club where students can work on such techniques and be involved in the community. The Model UN team recently won an Award of Distinction at the National High School Model United Nations. This club allows students to utilize skills such as critical thinking and teamwork and gives them a way to put themselves out into the community.

Peacock Society
The Peacock Society is a club that focuses on South Asian heritage and celebrates it. This is an extracurricular opportunity for students to meet people with similar interests or backgrounds and become more involved. Furthermore, the Peacock Society offers volunteer hours as well as fun events such as its Diwalit party or its Fusion Play.

FCCLA
The Family, Career, and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA) club is an organization in the school which is for students interested in Family and Consumer Sciences. Additionally, this extracurricular organization helps its members concentrate on issues of concern such as peer pressure or familial relationships. This club has several competitive events and also holds presentations regarding some of the many issues they talk about. In November of last year, the FCCLA attended the 75th annual FCCLA Fall Leadership Connection.

Esports
In 2021 the Edison High School Media Center added an Esports Arena for students to not only game but also practice skills such as programming, game design, and marketing. It is an opportunity for those interested in business and tech fields to practice certain skills they may need and meet students with similar interests. It is a relatively new extracurricular to Edison HIgh and is always looking for members to join.

Theatre Department
The Theatre Department is an opportunity for students interested in theatre or acting. The Theatre Department presents many plays such as Into the Woods and all students are given the opportunity to audition. Joining gives students the opportunity to meet others interested in attending theatrical performances and be involved in this part of the community.

DECA
DECA prepares future emerging leaders in fields such as marketing, finance, hospitality, and management in all educational fields. The club holds promotion contests and mentorship opportunities from experienced adults. There is a state conference held in Atlantic City that students can attend if they are qualified enough. In fact, in the 2022-2023 school year, at the DECA state conference, fifteen Edison High students reached the final round and six students attended the International Career Development Conference which took place in Orlando. Overall, it is an opportunity for students who are interested in business or marketing fields to learn and participate in leadership and other business-related activities.

Altogether, the upcoming activity fair is an opportunity for students to become more involved in the Edison High community, socialize and meet new people, gain volunteer experience, and join extracurricular activities. A full list of all offered activities can be found here.