The Student Newspaper of Edison High School

The Eagle's Eye

The Eagle's Eye

The Eagle's Eye

Follow Us on Instagram
Edison High on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram

Traveling From Table to Table

The NCHS Cultural Carnival
JODIE HUR ’25
Students representing Pakistan prepare panipuri, a savory snack, to sell along with mango juice.

On May 24, the National Chinese Honor Society (NCHS) hosted a Cultural Carnival in the small gym. This event included a variety of cultures with diverse food, music, and engaging cultural activities. Through this event, students and staff learned more about the unique backgrounds of their peers.

To prepare for this event, student volunteers created tri-folds incorporating cultural traditions, important information, and multiple visuals. For example, Sudan’s tri-fold included the country’s history in order for others to gain a better understanding.

Ms. Nicole Mendez-Melo smiles as she gets henna done by a student helping to represent the culture of Afghanistan. (JODIE HUR ’25)

“Learning about other cultures is pivotal for one’s growth because it expands our worldview,” said Ms. Eleanor Rolon, a college and career counselor.

Many of the tables cooked and sold food from their respective cultures. Crepes from France made by the French National Honor Society (FNHS), macaroni and cheese from the Black Student Union (BSU), pancit from the Philippines made by the Class of 2025, and more filled the air with a flavorful aroma. A shared love for food united both students and staff from diverse backgrounds.

I think EHS is really blessed to have all sorts of people from different backgrounds and races. I think being a part of a community is embracing everybody’s cultural identities and backgrounds, and the Cultural Carnival is just an excellent way to do that because we get to see people from all walks of life.

— Violet Bak ’25

“I know a lot of people brought in food from different cultures, and I know that one of the biggest things of people’s culture is food,” said Keona Rose ‘25, a student representing the Black Student Union. “So, I think food is one of the things that helps bring together students at EHS.”

Students representing the Black Student Union at the Cultural Carnival spend time eating cultural cuisine and playing board games. (JODIE HUR ’25)

Along with the dishes these clubs provided, some looked to share culture in other aspects as well. For example, the students representing the Dominican Republic created and sold bracelets and stickers, and the students representing Afghanistan provided a service for students and staff to get henna done.

As students roamed around the gym, different genres and languages of music were heard from speakers brought by the presenters. From rap to Chinese music, students used all their senses to indulge in the cultures.

“There’s a lot of culture and to see all of this together is incredible, I’ve never seen something like this before,” said Keanu Balon ‘27, a student representing Ecuador.

So, I think food is one of the things that helps bring together students at EHS.

— Keona Rose ‘25

Although Edison High School is frequently known for its diversity among its students and staff, the representation of the cultures within the school is not always displayed in a way that is similar to this event held in the small gym. The Cultural Carnival brought the cultures of underrepresented countries and ethnicities in EHS, allowing students to acquire knowledge about multiple cultures.

Atharva Inamdar ’24 participates in a marble game from NCHS with a prize of 25 dollars. (JODIE HUR ’25)

“I think EHS is really blessed to have all sorts of people from different backgrounds and races,” said Violet Bak ’25, representing France. “I think being a part of a community is embracing everybody’s cultural identities and backgrounds, and the Cultural Carnival is just an excellent way to do that because we get to see people from all walks of life.”

Donate to The Eagle's Eye
$215
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Edison High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.