Vaping: The Silent Threat Amongst the Youth, Ignored at What Cost?

MISAKI PALACIOS ’24
Students often ignore the consequences associated with vaping.

It took humanity over more than a century to learn the dangers of nicotine and tobacco. How long will it take for us to recognize how harmful the use of e-cigarettes (otherwise known as vapes) is? History repeats itself in different ways but with the same outcome.
While we are meant to learn from our past mistakes, we take everything for granted and repeat it because we don’t care if we are struggling to breathe as long as we are having fun. This country’s youth is in danger of this growing vaping epidemic, yet no serious steps are being taken to address the situation. It’s not a news flash that vaping is threatening and harmful, but it is a surprise that people don’t stop!
Every time you reach for a vape, ask yourself one question: What is this doing to my body? According to John Haskins Medicine, 1.6 million high school students and 550,000 middle school students use vapes and other nicotine products. When using a vape, dangerous substances are heated up, producing the toxic flames many teenagers inhale.
The first of these chemicals is nicotine, which can have a negative impact on mental health and is highly addictive. The second chemical is acrolein, which can irritate even with mild exposure. The last one is benzene, which is the same chemical that is found in car exhaust fumes. So next time you think about taking a puff, step aside and think twice. This list of chemicals is extensive, with each one contributing to more harm.
So what can these chemicals cause?
Starting with the lungs, they can inflame them and cause scarring which leads to difficulty breathing, organ failure, headaches, and nausea. Nicotine can elevate your blood pressure and bring up your adrenaline. This leads to an increase in heart rate and makes you more prone to having heart attacks. Nicotine can also cause cancer in any part of your body.
The truth is that, as much as we think that all we need is to say a speech once in a while to enforce the truth that vapes are dangerous and that if caught vaping, there will be consequences. There comes a point when we have to realize that it’s not enough; after all, actions do speak louder than words. There needs to be more action taken since this issue is not something that will resolve itself. There are measures we can take, for example, installing vape detectors in the bathrooms and other common areas of the hallways and putting harsher punishments in place if a student brings a vape or any tobacco or nicotine product onto school grounds.

So next time you think about taking a puff, step aside and think twice.

Saying that it’s fun that you smoke to relieve yourself isn’t an excuse. There are several other fun and relaxing activities that are safe. It’s not difficult to look for something entertaining; studies show that the most entertaining thing to do is to socialize with others and build a relationships. I know what you might be saying: “Well, I’m antisocial.” There are tons of other options, like drawing or painting, starting to watch new shows and movies, going out for a walk, etc. Are you looking for something to relieve yourself or simply be calm? Maybe you would like to meditate or do yoga, listen to music, read, go out and be one with nature, take a nap, etc. Clearly, there are several alternatives to using vapes as a stress relieving method.
Ignoring the facts that are being provided to you and that have always been there, and all for what? To have momentary fun? The worst part is that people will read this and disregard it all. But if you just take a step back to look at reality, you’ll see that you’re taking away from yourself what could be valuable moments in the future.