All Aboard! Main Lobby Tradition Gets Back on Track

Eagle’s Eye Staff
The EHS Main Lobby Holiday Train Display, a collaboration between students, staff, and administration. It has returned to the lobby for the first time since 2019.

This holiday season, Math teacher Ms. Roseanna Scimone Taylor, Principal Mr. Charles Ross, school security guards, and select students joined in the annual decoration of the school’s main lobby. The decorations consisted of bow ties, ornaments, miniature homes, a Christmas tree, and one spotlight attraction: a train chugging around a model town. As a stunning visual display during the holiday season, these decorations collectively showcase the diverse cultural traditions of the Edison High community.

When people enter the building I want people to know who we are, what’s great about us, and what we celebrate.

— Mr. Charles Ross

The completion of the display marks the first time the annual tradition has returned to Edison High since 2019, after which the festivities were suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Mr. Ross initially bought the train set for the school and assigned the Art Department to reimagine the train set to showcase the diversity at Edison High.

Everyone comes from different backgrounds and different financial situations. My goal is to make them feel at home, or some place where they feel at home, even though they may not have the same resources at their home.

— Ms. Roseanna Scimone Taylor

(Ms. Roseanna Scimone Taylor)

Afterwards, the Woodshop Department created the tracks and platform, using materials donated by students and staff to furnish the set. The final stage of the decoration was given to Scimone’s class, which crafted each element, such as the bowties and a lengthy paper chain. Other than the train set and the Christmas tree, everything was created at the nest.

During a visit to the annual Hallway Decorating Contest, Scimone realized the importance of creating a welcoming environment, irrespective of varying resources at home. Acknowledging that every student comes from diverse cultural and financial backgrounds, Scimone hopes to promote a feeling of belonging among Edison High students,

“Everyone comes from different backgrounds and different financial situations,” said Scimone. “My goal is to make them feel at home, or some place where they feel at home, even though they may not have the same resources at their home.”

Scimone also believes that the decorating experience offered a step away from the classroom setting, a means of improving her students’ educational experience.

“When you walk past a class you might see them doing math, but these few days when you walk by my class you see students collaborating and making beautiful decorations all by themselves,” said Scimone.

Ross similarly looked to capture cultural diversity and holiday spirit, saying that “when people enter the building I want people to know who we are, what’s great about us, and what we celebrate.” To him, the chugging of the train around the town symbolizes a panoramic view of the different cultures, traditions, and celebrations that are cultivated within the EHS community.

• An EHS-themed model train passes a menorah and student-built houses. Students from Ms. Roseanna Scimone’s classes decorated the main lobby for the holidays this year, reviving a longtime school tradition.

• The Edison Express, pulling a tank car decorated by the school’s art classes.

• The second of two model steam engines on the EHS main lobby holiday display. Decorations were provided by Mr. Charles Ross along with students from Ms. Roseanna Scimone’s classes.

The experience also offered Scimone’s students a chance to express themselves through their decorations. Isabella Kung-Rymer ‘26 attributed her motivation to decorate to the holiday spirit, and Emily Rodriquez ‘25 showcased her collection of ornaments, all of which featured albums from her favorite pop artist, Taylor Swift.

As winter break nears, Edison High’s main lobby is in full holiday cheer and welcomes everyone who visits the Nest.