The Student Newspaper of Edison High School

The Eagle's Eye

The Eagle's Eye

The Eagle's Eye

Follow Us on Instagram
Edison High on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram

The Unstoppable Eagles

EHS Wrestling Team Competes in Annual GMC
KARINA HAWALDAR ’25
Nykir Eato ’24 faces off with his opponent.

On Saturday, January 27, Central Jersey schools came together to compete in the Greater Middlesex Conference Tournament. Edison was pitted against twenty-three other schools in an attempt to come out as the victor.

Among the 24 schools, Edison placed eighth, ending with fourteen wins and five losses. This gave them a final score of 99 points. Despite also finishing in eighth place last year, the Eagles have shown considerable improvement, having only scored 62 points in the previous year.

In their first meet, the Eagles beat fourth-seeded East Brunswick 49–27, and destroyed their ninth-seeded rival Woodbridge in a dominant performance, beating the team by over twenty points. However, Edison suffered a loss in a close meet against Middletown South, losing 407.

This tournament witnessed numerous outstanding performances by Edison. The Eagles had seven wrestlers place in the top eight of the GMC, with four wrestlers reaching the semifinals. Among all of these performances, the one that stood out the most was the performance of Fernando Avellan ‘26. Avellan won the GMC tournament in the 138-pound weight class, defeating St. Joseph’s Morgan Schwartz ‘26 by pin en route to winning the GMC Most Valuable Wrestling Award.

While their finish in the GMCs was not the highest, the Eagles continue to show growth, improvement, and consistency. Since the 2015–16 season, boys wrestling has had a winning record every season, and this season was no different with their 14–5 record.

The season started off on a great note, as the Eagles were on a four-meet winning streak against Woodbridge, Middlesex, New Brunswick, and East Brunswick.

The season featured important wins against big rivals like J.P. Stevens. Winning 66–18, the Eagles dominated in their rivalry meet against the Hawks. Caleb Gluchowski ‘26 had the best performance, being able to pin his opponent, Nathan Mendonca ‘27 from J.P. Stevens, in thirty seconds.

Edison’s best meet of the season was against North Brunswick, which ended with a score of 74–6 in favor of Edison. Edison also had a great performance against South Brunswick, winning dominantly with a final score of 65–7.
”The wrestling team had another very successful season,” said Head Coach Mr. Scott Gerba. “The team’s record was 14–5 while the competition level was greatly increased.”

Edison also had some great individual performances throughout the season. Avellan was undefeated throughout the season, beating the opponent by pin in every match he played in the 138 and 144-pound weight class. Nyekir Eato ‘25 was also great for the Eagles, boasting an undefeated 4–0 record in the 170-pound, 190-pound, and 215-pound weight classes this season.