Owala vs. Stanley: The Better Beverage Bearer?

AASHI TAMBOLI ’26
The classic battle between two widely recognized water bottles. The Stanley water bottle (at right) vs. the Owala water bottle.

Gen-Z’s water bottle obsession has existed since the Hydro Flask epidemic in 2019. Since then, we’ve seen the likes of S’well, Yeti, and most recently, Stanley and Owala cups. Stanley cups have been prominent in EHS amongst teachers and students. However, recently EHS has directed their craze to the Owala water bottles, best known for their shape and water spout.

Stanley water bottles are famous for their large size and ability to keep drinks at preferred temperatures. This is a necessity, especially in warmer temperatures. In addition, these cups come in a variety of colors that motivate users to gain a collection of Stanleys, one of each color. The cup is so highly desired that bloggers posted about reaching secondary markets that take advantage of this consumerism and sell Stanley cups for cheaper prices.

Despite the brand’s popularity, recent lawsuits suggest that Stanley misled consumers by not disclosing that lead, a toxic substance, is present in their product. However, these facts have been overlooked by many consumers, and maybe for good reason: last November, a TikTok went viral of a woman’s Stanley Cup remaining undamaged despite her car catching on fire.

While the cup functions well and I like how it looks, it’s not something I would spend my own money on. I could probably find a mug that performs just as well for much cheaper.

— Ms. Sabrina Carbone

Meanwhile, Owala water bottles have come into the spotlight in recent months for their dual drinking feature. Their selling point is the special design that allows the drinker to sip water like a koala. These bottles are known for their easy use, dual drinking options, non-spill cap lock, efficiency for cleaning, and variety in color. Owalas are convenient as they have a straw for sipping small amounts of water and an opening for chugging large amounts of water; this bottle adjusts to one’s preferred method of hydrating.

So, which is the better bottle?

This poll has ended.

Which do you prefer? Owalas or Stanleys?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Katie Hahn ‘26 advocated for the Stanley water bottle as she said, “I use my Stanley’s every single day. I love matching the water bottle to my outfit.”

In response to being asked about her Owala water bottle, Annika Villanueva ‘25 said “It’s really big and functions well. It’s great for sports since you can chug water too.”

Suhani Chokshi ‘24 said, “Owala water bottles are 100% superior to Stanley’s.” Chokshi’s reasoning for this is because Owalas are leak free, unlike the Stanley.

Supporting this claim, Khushi Bhavsar ’27 said, “I like my Stanley for it’s customizability and the size but it does spill everywhere.”

When asked how she felt about the Stanley mug that she’d been gifted, math teacher Ms. Sabrina Carbone said, “While the cup functions well and I like how it looks, it’s not something I would spend my own money on. I could probably find a mug that performs just as well for much cheaper.”

In addition to this, the influx of Stanley mugs at school has led to many desiring a more unique cup to tote. Carbone added, “I liked my Stanley a lot more before everyone else went and got one. I enjoyed being unique.”

With this, it is clear that EHS is fond of the affordable, accessible, and adaptable water bottle. The Stanley water bottle has a lot of street credibility. However, when it comes down to the details, the Owala water bottle is cheaper, yet boasts the same size and has more features, making it the vastly superior water bottle.