Cans, Cans, and More Cans

EHS Rotary Hosts Food Donation Drive
MADISON ZACCARO ’24
Over 700 cans were collected in the main lobby during the month of February to donate to St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Church on Old Post Road.

Throughout the month of February, the Edison High School Rotary Club hosted a food drive to collect donations for St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Church on Old Post Road. Specifically, Edison High Rotary partnered with Edison Township’s Rotary chapter to help set up a self-serve food pantry at the church using these donations.

Students could bring in non-perishable items such as canned food, rice, and pasta. To encourage donations, the chapter gave volunteering hours for donations. Within a few weeks, over 700 items were donated.

As president, I’m very proud of how amazing it was to drop off all the items and to see the smiles on everyone’s faces at the church

— Madison Zaccaro '24

Ultimately, all of these donations will serve as meals for individuals and families who may be struggling financially throughout the township.

“As president, I’m very proud of how amazing it was to drop off all the items and to see the smiles on everyone’s faces at the church,” said Madison Zaccaro ‘24, who leads the Edison High Rotary chapter.

After holding a small packing event with Rotary members, Zaccaro delivered the items to the church during the first week of March. The Rotary board expressed satisfaction with the overall outcome, specifically highlighting the sheer number of donations.

“I would consider this drive a success,” said Treasurer Sylvia Wu ‘25. “So many students across all levels contributed to help collect so many items.”

The chapter is excited to continue hosting donation drives and other events, such as their current Feminine Hygiene Products drive in partnership with GirlUp, their trivia night, and Sandy Hook beach clean up later this spring.

“I feel very excited about our future as a club,” said Wu. “Hopefully our next events go just as well or even better!”