The Student Newspaper of Edison High School

The Eagle's Eye

The Eagle's Eye

The Eagle's Eye

Follow Us on Instagram
Edison High on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram

Powerless or Empowered?

Rithika+Gunasekaran+27+enacting+Paedyn+Gray%2C+the+protagonist+of+Lauren+Roberts+award-winning+debut%2C+Powerless.+
HASINI VUMMAJI ’27
Rithika Gunasekaran ’27 enacting Paedyn Gray, the protagonist of Lauren Roberts’ award-winning debut, “Powerless.”

We all thought COVID-19 was bad, right? Well, be thankful it didn’t genetically alter us, mutate us, or change us.

Be thankful it wasn’t the plague, from Lauren Roberts’ Powerless.

Roberts writes about an unimaginable world in her New York Times best-selling book, which sold over a million copies since its debut in January 2023. This stunning fantasy novel went viral on BookTok and other social media sites, and upon reading it, the reason is clear…what’s not to like about a hunter and the hunted falling in love?

Years ago, a plague struck the land of Ilya, and millions of people were infected. Over time, those who survived the Plague developed strange powers, and soon it became abnormal to not have any abilities. The world was split into two: the Elites and the Ordinaries. The Elite powers were subdivided into stages: Offensive, Defensive, and Mundane. The king decreed Ordinaries, the rare people who didn’t manifest any abilities, supposedly “infectious” towards all Elites (despite living together for hundreds of years), and placed a death sentence on all Ordinaries solely out of spite.

Kai, the second prince and future Enforcer of Ilya, is burdened with the task of killing any Ordinaries that are discovered. Meanwhile Paedyn “Pae” Gray, a street thief living in the slums, is actually an Ordinary hiding in plain sight disguised as a mundane Psychic. Using astute observation skills, she manages to catch the smallest details about people and manipulates them into believing she has psychic powers. After a fateful run-in with Kai, Paedyn is roped into the world of the Elites. With everyone believing that she is a Mundane, Paedyn is chosen to participate in the deadly Purging Trials— the cruel game meant only to showcase the royal’s powers, the one thing she doesn’t have.

Roberts doesn’t let her readers get bored. Every chapter has a new event or revelation that significantly changes our perspective. In this way, the book is fast-moving and fun to read. Rather than being bored of the slow analysis of events that happened in the past, Roberts makes sure to entertain the readers, a feat many authors fail to do. Additionally, the intriguing love triangle that Roberts includes is another reason we cannot take our eyes off this book. In typical BookTok fashion, Roberts forces us to root for certain characters and have spirited discussions with friends over our choice. Moreover, her inclusion of two incredibly different male characters and one special girl further adds to our fascination with the novel.

Both Kai and Paedyn narrate this story–their unique opinions and personalities are revealed in their respective sections. The same events are narrated twice but with two different eyes. This creates a new view of the book because there are two stories packaged into one. The reader anticipates the moment where the two stories inevitably collide even though Paedyn and Kai are from two entirely different lineages and backgrounds. One is a prince at the very top of the hierarchy while the other is an outlaw who shouldn’t be alive. Most interestingly, Kai’s duty is to eliminate Ordinaries like Paedyn. Such dramatic irony reaches new heights in this novel as they get roped into a slow-burn romance that has the audience screaming. The classic image of a reader screaming, “No, don’t do it!” is paired with the dual perspectives of Powerless.

Emotions run wild in this novel. Every page brings about a new feeling and the writing style is extraordinary. Roberts uses intricate imagery and beautiful figurative language to create scenes that make the reader feel. In addition, the dual perspective adds to this emotion, as the two characters face entirely different internal conflicts. One is battling with self-discovery and the beginnings of love. The other is battling fondness for the one who’s most dangerous to her and is fighting an unfair game.

All together, Roberts moves the reader powerfully–she’s talented in the art of manipulating us and forcing us to empathize. On some pages, we’re crying at the unbearable injustice that might sometimes ring true with our own lives. On others, we’re cheering Paedyn or Kai on, hoping for them to succeed. And other times, we are cringing at the funniest (and cutest) pick-up lines and swooning for the main characters.

Roberts’ enchanting writing manages to keep us on our toes. As the reader, we think a certain event is inevitable and as we wait for it to happen, Roberts somehow uses her magic to turn the story around in a way we didn’t expect. Plot twists are essential to this novel and, put simply, readers cannot guess what will happen next, further adding to the fascination surrounding this book. In addition, the unexpected and cruel cliffhanger at the end leaves us waiting for the next book, silently yelling at Roberts for her ingenious heart-breaking, full-circle ending.

Although Roberts incorporates many plot twists and attempts to create a unique world, one must recognize that this book is largely inspired by social media-popular literature. Roberts overuses several tropes that are used in many popular YA romantic fantasy novels and takes many ideas from previously published books. Powerless combines a variety of aspects from the bestselling books Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard and The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Many scenes and plotlines seem to resemble those already successfully written by these authors which came off to the readers as a tad unoriginal.

However, as a first-time author who wrote the book at only eighteen years old, Roberts has done an exceptional job. Overall, each page captivates the reader and is definitely a “squeal-worthy” book. Readers wait in extreme anticipation to see how the story plays out in Reckless, the sequel to Powerless, scheduled to release on July 2, 2024. Hopefully, Roberts will be able to better express her individuality in the next book without compromising her enthralling writing style.

Until then, thank the Plague.