Do You Want to Build a Giving Tree?

ISHANI BAKSHI '26

Enamored by pages-long wishlists, the possibility of new technology, or maybe that one pair of jeans you have been eyeing for a while一 as students, we can often get so wrapped up in the wonders of the holiday season that we forget its true purpose: to give. Nonetheless, at Edison High, the guidance team fosters traditions such as the Giving Tree. 

Ten years ago, Dora and Jimmy Ramos, two Edison residents, sponsored a district-wide Giving Tree which facilitated anonymous gift-giving throughout Edison一inspiring a schoolwide tradition for years to come. “The spirit of taking care of our own and the tradition of giving solidified through their vision and efforts” said Ms. Kimberly Zavistoski, an EHS counselor spearheading the EHS Giving Tree operation.

For the past two years, the Edison High counseling department has collected gift cards for EHS families, but this year, the school has reverted back to the original Giving Tree. Zavistoski painted a vivid image of “tags spanning toys, clothing and gift cards filled our tree for staff and students to fulfill the wish list items on the tree. Items will be wrapped and returned to the School Counseling office before being distributed to our EHS families.” 

Don’t let the name deceive you, the Giving Tree is more than an evergreen; it contains tags for specific items which students can pledge to provide for the Edison families. Students can drop by guidance any time to make their mark on this holiday tradition by December 19th. The Giving Tree “gives people a chance to spread kindness and joy, which is [sometimes] lost in these [tough] times,” said Shriaditi Kancherla ‘26. 

“Traditions help set expectations and give context to ‘what’s next’. On a deeper level, traditions foster a sense of belonging, community and offer an opportunity to reflect on what and who is important to us–and why. Traditions are special to partake in, should feel rather automatic, and provide excellent context for a meaningful pause” said Zavistoski. 

After a series of Christmases in quarantine, this holiday season, Edison High witnessed the birth of new traditions and the continuation of old ones. “[They] help set expectations and give context to ‘what’s next’. On a deeper level, traditions foster a sense of belonging, community and offer an opportunity to reflect on what and who is important to us–and why,” said Zavistoksi. 

So,  🎶 do you want to build a giving tree? 🎶