The Student Newspaper of Edison High School

The Eagle's Eye

The Eagle's Eye

The Eagle's Eye

Follow Us on Instagram
Edison High on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram

Sweltering Room 222 Forces Class Into Cooler Bathroom

Students relocate to the lavatory, using toilets as seats and mirrors as whiteboards
Students+find+not+only+relief+from+heat+but+innovative+learning+methods+as+they+relocate+from+classroom+to+bathroom.+
EAGLE’S EYE STAFF
Students find not only relief from heat but innovative learning methods as they relocate from classroom to bathroom.

As room 222 at Edison High gets too hot, the bathroom is instead being used as a new classroom for the students of the Journalism and Media elective at Edison High School. Students are excited about the new learning environment, as the bathrooms are a place where high school students enjoy hanging out.

The teacher of the class, English teacher Ms. Diane Frey, spoke highly of the new setting, now that she can use each part of the bathroom to teach students about news writing.

“I feel like the class and I became closer as a whole after moving to a more intimate setting,” said Frey.

The class is able to socialize through assignments and help each other if they are confused, which has led them to be a more tight-knit group of students. Sitting in stalls to help each other with work and listing ideas on the mirrors with shared lip gloss are some ways that has led the class to become so close.

Many advantages came out of the use of the bathroom, like the students not having to leave the class in order to relieve themselves. Students are able to use the bathroom, as well as learn in the same room, maximizing learning time in the process. They have the advantage of having their own private bathroom for the period compared to the rest of the students in the school who often resort to walking to Dunkin’ for the nearest available bathroom.

The stalls are of perfect use for when students take tests and if they get thirsty, they drink the sink water provided in the bathrooms. The healthy and tasty water from the sinks saves students from dehydration, another deterrent to learning when classroom heat becomes excessive.

Students are appreciative of the new and improved ways they are being taught in the special room.

“I love the fact that we could do so much more in the bathrooms,” said Victor Kowalski ’25. “Sitting on the bathroom floor in class is a great adaptation of the flexible seating trend.”