SPLASH into a World of Knowledge

Students+take+a+seat+in+a+lecture+hall+at+the+McDonnell+A02%2C+eagerly+waiting+for+Jake+Vazquezs+lesson+on+Rocket+Science%3A+The+Basics.+
HASINI VUMMAJI ’27
Students take a seat in a lecture hall at the McDonnell A02, eagerly waiting for Jake Vazquez’s lesson on Rocket Science: The Basics.

On April 20th, Edison High Students participated in Princeton University’s annual SPLASH program, a one-day event where high school students visit Princeton’s campus to take classes on various topics taught by Princeton students.

The day started at Princeton’s Campus Club, where students signed in and received maps and instructions. At 10:00 a.m., classes began. Classes ranged from Introduction to Lifeguarding, a class describing what it takes to become a lifeguard, all the way to Our Majestic Universe, a class discussing the intricacies of the Milky Way and beyond. College students taught these classes at a variety of lecture halls and classrooms with presentations and hands-on activities.

It was an opportunity to explore my interests in a dynamic learning environment, guided by enthusiastic Princeton students eager to share their knowledge.

— Nirmit Bhoyar ‘25

Today, high school students put ever-increasing importance on college and the future. Most students welcome the opportunity to gain the experience of experiencing what visiting a college is like.

Students were provided an opportunity to buy a Princeton SPLASH T-shirt, eat lunch, walk around campus, and meet new people. There was a lot to explore in downtown Princeton: Students visited stores such as Junbi, The House of Cupcakes, and the Bent Spoon, a popular ice cream shop around campus.

“I also engaged in conversations with fellow participants, exchanging ideas and experiences,” said Nirmit Bhoyar ‘25. “One memorable moment was during the fluid mechanics class where I collaborated with a classmate to solve an example problem.”

• Mahita Devarakonda ’27, Hasini Vummaji ’27, Solai Ramasubramaniyam ’27, and Rithika Gunasekaran ’27 stand in front of the Princeton University Chapel. The four attended the Splash event on April 20, 2024.

• Students attending Splash learn about immunotherapy through an entertaining presentation, portraying the immune system functions as a game of hide and seek.

Located in Central New Jersey, the area around Princeton University is full of history, culture, and scenery. Students also learned subjects often untouched in school.

“I enjoyed the opportunity to go to SPLASH at Princeton since I learned about topics I really enjoy,” said Bhavya Nuthangi ‘27. ”It felt like a separate experience from school since I could genuinely learn, knowing it wasn’t an assignment or grade.”

“I attended SPLASH to broaden my horizons and delve into subjects outside of my regular curriculum,” said Bhoyar. “It was an opportunity to explore my interests in a dynamic learning environment, guided by enthusiastic Princeton students eager to share their knowledge.”

$215
$500