Senior of the Month (September) – Vasumathi Venkat

When one considers the best, brightest, and most involved members of the student body, September’s Senior of the Month Vasumathi Venkat ‘22 stands as a shining example of what’s great about Edison High.

As a member of the STEM Academy, Venkat has pursued her passion for learning throughout high school in various ways. While her journey allegedly started as an “ego check after middle school,” she has grown into her current role as a successful student and inspiration to others who aspire to achieve academic excellence. Her contributions to the school include being a member in National Honor Society, Science National Honors Society, Spanish National Honors Society, and Mu Alpha Theta.

While her journey allegedly started as an “ego check after middle school,” she has grown into her current role as a successful student and inspiration to others who aspire to achieve academic excellence.

In addition to her academic accolades, Venkat is actively involved in a multitude of extracurricular activities. This past summer, she attended the Governor’s School in Engineering and Technology, a three-week-long STEM-oriented program. Additionally, she has been an active member of the Science Olympiad team, for which she has earned several medals for high placement across various events. Aside from its competitive aspect, she has also overseen the club from its infancy two years ago.

Aside from the sciences, Model UN (MUN) has been a club close to Venkat’s heart since her freshman year. As a delegate, she has participated in many conferences and has earned several awards for excellence during her participation in these events. Through her passion and drive for the club, she helped increase its membership and scope throughout her time in high school to cement it as a legitimate and self-sufficient organization. Venkat recalls that her time in Model UN helped her speak up for herself and articulate her thoughts more clearly.

As her chapter at EHS is coming to an end, a new chapter of her life is ready to begin. Venkat hopes to work in artificial intelligence and get a chance to work in a robotics research lab. She would also like to be part of the Society for Women Engineers. 

EHS has been an influential phase of Venkat’s life bringing many memories and moments she will never forget. She recalls the Rutgers WiSTEM conference that provided her new experiences in exploring different careers and chances to become friends with her STEM cohorts. Venkat would like to thank English teacher and Eagle’s Eye co-advisor Mrs. Diane Frey for being a part of her time at Edison High School. 

“I also learned a lot of life lessons about balancing work and fun, thinking more deeply about the world around me, and not being afraid to share opinions or ask questions,” Venkat said.  

With these memories, Venkat also leaves advice for her fellow younger students: “As cliche as it is, find who you are as a person… get more involved and branch out.”