EHS Student Publishes Activity Book at the Thomas Edison Center

Soumita Banerjee ’25
Soumita Banerjee ’25 poses for a picture with her activity book at TECMP.
Front cover of the Junior Wizard Activity book. (Soumita Banerjee ’25, Courtesy of TECMP)

Making her way from The Eagle’s Eye to her volunteer position at Thomas Edison Center at Menlo Park (TECMP), EHS student Soumita Banerjee ‘25 recently had her Junior Wizard Activity Book published by the center.

The Junior Wizard Activity Book is a part of the Junior Wizard Program at the TECMP, a program designed to further engage students in the history of the TECMP. Upon completion of the book, which includes fill-in-the-blank and word search activities, participants are sworn in as Junior Wizards, and a certificate is awarded, officially recognizing their induction as Junior Wizards. It is available in print at the TECMP museum store, as well as through their online gift shop.

Soumita had a different perspective from the museum staff because she remembered from her own experiences as a child visiting historic sites what a benefit this would be to our young visitors.

— Kathleen Carlucci

Ms. Kathleen Carlucci, the Director of the TECMP, said that the activity book would add another dimension to the students’ experiences, and help them organize all the fun facts they learn during the visit, strengthening their knowledge of TECMP.

“I grew up going to National Parks and doing the Junior Ranger programs all over the US, and I really wanted to give children that same opportunity and sense of excitement and learning at TECMP,” said Banerjee.

This book allowed me to blend my passion for education with a drive for creativity, continually seeking ways to inspire and engage people. Seeing the book in its final form at the museum was one of the most fulfilling moments I have ever had.

— Soumita Banerjee ‘25

“Soumita brought the idea to us along with copies of similar books from other historic sites as examples,” said Carlucci, “Soumita is a valued volunteer at the Thomas Edison Center at Menlo Park. She has knowledge of the information imparted during our tours as she gives tours regularly during her volunteer shifts. Soumita had a different perspective from the museum staff because she remembered from her own experiences as a child visiting historic sites what a benefit this would be to our young visitors.”

Advertisement for the Junior Wizard Activity book(Provided by TECMP)

After coming up with the idea, Soumita made several drafts of the activity book, taking in feedback from Carlucci and the rest of the museum board, while also ensuring that the book would be something for children to enjoy.

“Creating the Junior Wizard Activity Book was a journey of exploration and research. It was about more than just assembling content; it was about creating each page, encouraging people to explore science through Edison’s lens,” said Banerjee. “This book allowed me to blend my passion for education with a drive for creativity, continually seeking ways to inspire and engage people. Seeing the book in its final form at the museum was one of the most fulfilling moments I have ever had.”

Banerjee thanked the museum directors and curators, Carlucci, Ms. Marissa McFetridge, and Mr. Joe Caggiano, as well as her parents for giving her this opportunity.