The Student Newspaper of Edison High School

The Eagle's Eye

The Eagle's Eye

The Eagle's Eye

Follow Us on Instagram
Edison High on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram

Major Woodbridge Victory Commences Wrestling Season

AINIE SYED ’26
Caleb Gluchowski ’26 holding a tight grip on his opponent.

The Edison wrestling team kicked off the winter season against Woodbridge on Friday, December 15 with a victory against Woodbridge, stacking 54 points against Woodbridge’s 24 points.

Despite the team’s victory, the path to success was not easy. Caleb Gluchowski ‘26 said the team was “mostly nervous due to them being considered a better team,” but they “were still locked in and ready to wrestle.”

While the team experienced massive success, they expected a more nail-biting finale for the game. Jaden Delabarrera ‘25 said the team “expected the outcome to be closer, even though we ended up winning by a large margin.”

Edison experienced individual successes as well, such as Gluchowski coming in second place in the tournament and Fernando Avellan ‘25 placing third. The team is proud of their achievement and hopeful for a successful season.

That will be tough to match because we have greatly increased our competition, but we will have a very experienced and quality team.

— Mr. Scott Gerba

“It is very exciting to win your wrestling home opener against a rival opponent like Woodbridge,” said Head Coach Mr. Scott Gerba. “It always feels good but we beat them last year and we just hoped to repeat that and we did. Woodbridge is always a tough opponent.”

Last season, Edison won twenty wrestling matches, securing a school record.

“That will be tough to match because we have greatly increased our competition, but we will have a very experienced and quality team,” said Gerba.