Touchdown: The Football Season in Review

The EHS football team plays against Piscataway during the Homecoming game. Photo credit: Nicholas Nguyen ’23

DEREK DUDEK ‘25

“Eagle!!!  Rumble!!!” Whether we’re being annihilated by Colonia or pulverizing J.P. Stevens, the energy from the fans is always relentlessly electric. Fueled by the marching band and cheerleaders, the atmosphere never fails to bring about EHS spirit. The varsity football team finished the year with a record of 6-3, winning 2/3 of their games. The JV squad has cruised through an undefeated season, while the freshman Eagles will finish with only two losses. 

Success has followed Edison High football all year long.

The varsity team overtook J.P. Stevens in the season opener, foreshadowing future success.  After looking out-classed against Colonia, the team rebounded against St. Joe’s, sneaking past them with a high-powered rushing attack. Some inconsistencies plagued the Eagles crew throughout the year with losses to Sayreville and North Brunswick, but the team fought back after each defeat, with victories against New Brunswick, Piscataway, and Hunterdon Central.  Plus/minus is an indicator of the quality of a team (points scored over points against). The +21 of EHS is higher than #1 ranked high school, Bergen Catholic, who has a plus/minus of 0.

Young quarterback Matt Yascko ‘23 has called the plays in this prosperous varsity season.  Against Hunterdon Central High School, Yascko executed the game plan with a superb 320 yards while completing 87% of his passes, along with a sparkling 4 TDs in a 42-7 WIN! Yascko has shined all year long for the varsity team, with each of his major stats well above national average (92.2 passer rating well above average.)

Bitter cold air swept through the stadium with spooky feelings creeping in; Halloween right around the corner.  Watchung Hills led 7-0 at halftime. Fans left, with playoff aspirations rapidly fading away. But Matt Yascko put on his Superman costume to save the day. He snuck in a touchdown to tie the game in the third quarter, followed by another goal line score in the 4th to put EHS ahead. His 16-yard TD run sealed the game against Watchung, giving Edison a 21-7 win.  A loss would have meant the end of the 2021 varsity season. The Eagles rode an impressive three game win-streak to finish the regular season, taking care of Watchung Hills to catapult them into the playoffs! The varsity team has bookended the regular season with wins.

“There’s nothing better than a game Friday night.”

— Coach Fulham

The Eagle’s Eye spoke to three Edison High freshman players to gain a deeper understanding of the culture behind the football program.

Brock Brunson ‘25 is a rookie running back for the freshman team. “It’s been exciting,” he said Even though a lot of work is definitely needed, our practices are enjoyable.”

“Kids go through a rigorous program with highly competitive practices every week,” said Head Coach Mr. Matt Fulham.

Brunson added, “Making lots of friends has been huge, and I’m thankful for the chemistry I’ve had to build.” Aidan Nagy ‘25, a rusher for the freshman team, remarked on the “family-like quality of the team,” as well as the “true joy of the sport itself.”

Brunson also believes excellent grades are essential for student-athletes. “Athletes need to strive for A’s and B’s with hopes that and aim for honor roll”, he said. “Honestly, it motivates me to be on top of my schoolwork since you need a certain GPA to stay on the team. In my opinion, football players are encouraged by the sport to succeed in school.”

Food choices may have, in part, led to a successful season. “Protein shakes for sure,” said Brunson, “[but] my favorite has got to be Natural Valley Honey n’ Oats granola bars.” Ethan Alcover ‘25, starting freshman running back, declared, “I love a good pasta dinner before game days.” 

As Coach Fulham said, “There’s nothing better than a game Friday night.”