Student Council Hosts School-Wide Volleyball Tournament

CALLIE JONES '24

Allison Dima ’23 as Gru and Cadence Sarni ’23 as Vector from Despicable Me movie at EHS Volleyball for Charity.

AGASTYA CHINCHANKAR '26

On Friday, November 18, students participated in a volleyball tournament hosted by the General Student Council. Students paid $5 to play or $1 to watch, and all proceeds were distributed among Edison and/or Middlesex County-based organizations as well as some larger nonprofit organizations, according to Student Council Advisor Mr. James Napoli. “The Student Council Board will finalize the charities once we determine the amount we’ve raised throughout the school year.”

Student Council began advertising for this event a few weeks prior, with team-sign ups taking place the week of the tournament. The day of, members created the winner’s and consolation brackets, prize baskets, and set up the court. The process of checking in was revamped to make sure the event commenced smoothly, and once it did, the rest ran like clockwork.

It was a great experience and a nice way to pass by a Friday night that otherwise would’ve been boring

— Abhiram Vemula ‘26

“Special thank you to our staff chaperones for being willing to referee the event and the Junior Class Council for selling snacks to the crowd during the tournament,” says Napoli.

Students enjoyed the opportunity to play with friends, such as Aaron Johnson ‘26, part of the team “Hindustan.”

“It was intense to play with everyone else watching us but it was fun either way, and when we weren’t playing we got to go talk with each other and it was just a fun experience overall,” says Johnson ‘26.

Abhiram Vemula ‘26 of the team “Pioneers,” whose team placed fourth overall, commented, “I thought the event was fun, mostly because I play volleyball myself and am willing to take any chance I get to play at school. Although it wasn’t as organized as I thought it would be, it was a great experience and a nice way to pass by a Friday night that otherwise would’ve been boring.”

Napoli and the Student Council commented on the exceptional turnout. “We had 35 teams participate in the tournament this year–the largest field of competition we’ve had in at least the last six years,” he said.

Napoli continued, “The evening is always a great night of friendly, yet intense, competition–from the creative uniforms to the on-court play–and this year’s tournament was no different. It’s always great to see the school community come together and support a charitable cause in the process.”