A Tale of Success

Jayden Jackson Secures Spot at D1 School

• Jayden Jackson ’23 with possession of the ball.

• Jayden Jackson ’23 moves against a defender during a fall season match.

BREANNA SMITHEN '26, Staff Writer

After four years of effective leadership and exciting game highlights, Jayden Jackson ‘23 finalized his decision to attend the D1 school Temple University. With the support of family and friends, Jackson will compete at Temple’s state-of-the-art field this fall.
Jackson has been a dedicated member of the Edison varsity soccer team for four years. During these years, Jackson has been a reliable forward and middle, scoring an average of one goal per game and a career total of 23 goals throughout his high school career.
His career stats exponentially improved throughout these years. After making the Edison varsity soccer team in his freshman year, he steadily gained more playing time. In fact, the 2022 to 2023 season is statistically Jackson’s best season so far: he scored ten goals, got seven assists, and earned 27 points in the nine games he played.
The Eagle’s Eye spoke with Jackson to find out more about his last soccer season at Edison High and his future participating in college soccer.
EE: What were some pre-game songs that you listened to that helped elevate your game during times when you needed motivation?
JJ: Well, I listened to a variety of music pregame to help elevate my game, but if I had to name a few, my favorite pregame songs were “Wat it feel lyke” by Yeat, “Lean 4 Real” by Playboi Carti, and “Who You Foolin” by Gunna.
EE: Being that this season is your last, what were your proudest moments this season?
JJ: Winning the division. It took everyone’s involvement to push us to the very end of the intense season, but it was rewarding when we succeeded.
EE: What are you planning to major in college?
JJ: I decided to major in marketing because I’m interested in learning different ways to buy and sell products. I want to be my own boss and create my own products, so I feel that marketing will help me jumpstart my own career.
EE: Playing soccer is something you did since you were very young. Did you always want to play soccer in college?

JJ: I’ve been playing soccer since I was eight years old, so playing at a higher level has always been a dream of mine. I’m glad I was presented with the opportunity to play at a very competitive level for a prestigious school such as Temple University. So in short, I knew Temple was for me.
EE: What were some of your most significant challenges throughout this season?
JJ: Mainly dealing with injuries and having a poor start to the season. I picked up an ankle injury mid-season which sat me out for our senior night game, but that didn’t stop me from supporting the team and cheering them on from the sidelines. Another challenge we faced was starting the season off 0–4, but fortunately, we took one game at a time and started getting more wins. Through our hard work and determination, we ended up turning things around and winning the division.
EE: Which professional soccer player has been the most inspiring/influential to you?
JJ: Marcus Rashford, because he’s young and he’s dealt with so much controversy that has messed with his mental health. He was able to dig deep and push himself through the critics and play the game without any distractions. I see this in my game because I don’t let my ego get to my head, and I play the best when I have confidence.
EE: Who or what motivated you throughout the football season this year?
JJ: I already knew it was my last year playing for EHS and I wanted it to be a season to remember. I wanted to put pressure on myself at the start of the season, so I was forced to play well and hold myself to a higher standard. I also wanted to do it for Coach Jammal because it was his last year coaching EHS soccer and I wanted to win something as a team for him.
EE: Why did you commit to Temple University?
JJ: They have a great education and the campus feels like a great environment for me to grow in.