Inside Edison’s AirPods: Popcorn and Playlists

Edison High’s Favorite Film Soundtracks
SRESHTA MITTA ’26
What new movie songs are popping onto Edison High’s playlists this year?

If you’re anything like me, you’ve caught yourself humming the theme from your favorite movies after watching them (lately, it’s been “Baby, I Love You” from Priscilla)— it’s that captivating connection between film and music that sticks with us long after the credits roll. And just as our favorite movies leave an indelible mark through their soundtracks, this ‘Popcorn and Playlists’ edition brings a diverse playlist that mirrors the unique cinematic tastes of our student body. So, let’s take a listen inside Edison’s AirPods.
With 62 tracks by 71 artists, the playlist’s top genres were pop and hip-hop. Unsurprisingly, the most repeated artist was Taylor Swift, featuring songs such as “august” from The Summer I Turned Pretty and “Safe and Sound” from The Hunger Games— the teenage romance show and dystopian trilogy also happen to be the most popular films on the playlist, each starring six songs each.
Swifties (Taylor Swift fans) aren’t the only ones who made their mark on the playlist. Also featured is “Can’t Catch Me Now” by Olivia Rodrigo, a song from the newly released Hunger Games prequel film, The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes. Weeks before the movie came to theaters, TikTok saw a surge in old and new fans using the song in the background of their videos (and Peeta Mellark edits). The song’s feature was simply a must, being a TikTok anthem that echoes a revived excitement for The Hunger Games saga.
Speaking of Peeta, Josh Hutcherson has certainly also made his mark on TikTok with his recent appearance in the Halloween thriller video-game-come-to-life Five Nights at Freddy’s. Likewise, the FNAF theme, however disconcerting it may be, has become an unexpectedly popular addition to the playlist. Alongside Demi Lovato’s song “Still Alive” from 2023’s sixth installment of the Scream saga, it’s clear that the horror film genre is paving the way for a new era of funky, albeit a little nightmarish, music.
It’d be impossible to discuss top film music without addressing two of the most popular movies of the year: box office number-one film, Barbie, and the long-awaited sequel to Miles Morales’ journey, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse. Featuring disco bop “Dance the Night” by Dua Lipa; Grammy-nominated “What Was I Made For?” by Billie Eilish; and ultimate duet “Barbie World” by Nicki Minaj, Ice Spice, and Aqua, Barbie starred a roster of talented female artists that have made their way onto EHS’s playlist. On the flip side, Across the Spider-Verse featured talent in another way. With the entire album attributed to Metro Boomin, artists Lil Wayne, A$AP Rocky, NAV, Coi Leray and many others made appearances in hit songs of 2023 such as “Annihilate” and “Self Love.” Having seen these artists pop up on many previous editions of Inside Edison’s AirPods, it comes as no surprise that their music remains a consistent presence on the schoolwide playlist.
Fictional 70s rock band Daisy Jones & The Six, from the Amazon Prime show of the same name, made five appearances in the playlist. Most notable of the songs included was “Look Me in the Eye.” Being that it was featured in Episode 2 of the staggered ten-episode series, many had forgotten about the song until it surfaced on TikTok in late spring of this year, with users fangirling over and poking fun at Sam Claflin’s meshed British accent and fake Pittsburgh drawl.
Similar to DJATS, yet a much more controversial show, was HBO’s The Idol, which covered fictional modern LA pop star Jocelyn. Co-produced by The Weeknd, The Idol’s music was vastly better than its plot, featuring popular songs such as “One Of The Girls” by The Weeknd, Jennie, and Lily-Rose Depp. As we groove through the sounds of these Hollywood-centered shows, it’s clear that the mix of storytelling and music is making waves on Edison High’s playlist.
Besides the movies and shows released in 2023, many older films have seen recent revivals, and consequently, re-popularized old music. Notable among these comebacks is the revival of Gossip Girl, which has reignited the allure of Justin Timberlake and 2000s pop music through the iconic song “What Goes Around Comes Around,” aligning with the 2020s’ Y2K pop culture revival. Additionally, the musical sensation Mamma Mia trended on TikTok during the spring and summer. Nostalgic hits “Dancing Queen” and “Money, Money, Money” have stretched into the fall, making their way onto the EHS playlist amidst their modern counterparts.
As we wrap up this edition’s journey through Edison’s AirPods, it all comes back to that familiar hum of a movie theme lingering well past the film’s end. Whether it’s Olivia Rodrigo reigniting our love for The Hunger Games storytelling or the timeless hits of Mamma Mia dancing into our playlists, our connections with film and song echo beyond the screen, and even more so in the halls of EHS.
Check out the playlist here.