Girls Basketball Strikes Iselin Kennedy With Dominant Victory

LUCY GOMEZCOELLO ’26
Edison discusses the game plan before heading to the court.

Girls basketball had a great bounce-back match with a resounding victory over Iselin Kennedy on Saturday, January 6.

Edison dominated right from tipoff, and ultimately, the final score read at 73—38. This victory is the second win of the season for the girls, snapping their eight-game losing streak. Scoring 73 points, this was their best offensive performance of the season.
Ghelsey Go ’24 led the offense with a season-high total of twenty-nine points with two spectacular three-pointers. She continues her consistent season, putting up double-digit numbers for the eighth time out of ten games this season. This is her second game with more than 20 points, albeit her first victory with such a performance this season. She also had a team-high of 6 rebounds.

Olivia Smart ’25 fights against JFK to make the shot. (Lucy Gomezcoello ’26)

Olivia Smart ‘25 also handled the offense adeptly with nineteen points. This equaled her career high against Sayreville in the opening game of the season. She hit seven field goals and was able to make five free throws. This is the fifth game where she has scored double-digit points.
Special mentions shall be made to Jocelyn Gross ‘24 who had a season-high of eight points and Alex Teal ‘27 who chipped in with six points. In addition, Angelisa Kearns ‘26 scored five points in the commanding victory and had her best playmaking game yet, leading the game to set a new career high of eleven assists.
The defense was equally strong as the Eagles ensured that the Iselin team could not attack the paint and score easy points. The team stole the ball 25 times, with Gross and Isabella Charles ‘25 leading the effort with four steals each. Moreover, it was a new career high for Gross.
The team is starting to come together, successfully overcoming obstacles and difficulties that they faced in the eight-game losing streak.
“Our varsity girls basketball team is really starting to become a cohesive unit,” said Head Coach Mr. Frank Eckert. “It felt great to win the last couple of games and we look forward to continued success. I’m proud of them as they are learning to persevere and overcome obstacles.”

Ghelsey Go ’24 prepares to shoot a free throw. (Lucy Gomezcoello ’26)

Edison overcame the efforts of Lorelei Lorentzen ’25 from Iselin Kennedy who had nineteen points, two blocks, and three steals. In addition, the Eagles constructed a formidable defense against Paula Antunes ’24 from Iselin Kennedy who had scored more than twenty points thrice this season. The girls ensured that Antunes could only score twelve points. The team outplayed Iselin Kennedy in all ways, getting 32 rebounds as a team compared to 26 for East Brunswick, 25 assists compared to twelve, and sixteen steals compared to nine.
This victory was a huge morale boost for Edison, who hoped to turn the tide after a disappointing start to the season. They are now 2–8 overall, and their next game is at 4:00 PM on January 8 against North Brunswick.
Game statistics are available from NJ.com.