Underdogs No Longer

Football Team Secures Countless Postseason Awards

In 2022, the Edison football team brought home a championship for the first time since the times of the Gulf War. Naturally, you would assume that a championship squad would roster multiple talented star athletes—and you would be correct. The team was home to many athletes recognized for their success. Different awards are given out—within divisions, conferences, and more—each year to honor and acknowledge high school’s top athletes. This year, the 1st & 2nd All-Division teams, All Big Central Conference team, All Area team, as well as others were flooded by a monsoon of Edison football talents.

On top of those NJ-voted all-star teams, Edison had its own awards for the championship players of this year. The captains of the squad were Matthew Yascko ‘23 (QB), Malcolm Stansbury ‘23 (WR), Adekunle Shittu ‘23 (DE, TE, T), and Matthew Bueno ‘23 (TE/DE), guiding the team to one victory after another. The Coaches Awards went to Arin Pasupuleti ‘23 (WR/DB), Michael Strachan ‘23 (WR/FS), and Bueno. And let’s not forget about everyone’s favorite award, MIP (Most Improved Player), which went to Anthony Payano ‘23 (OL/DL). Yascko and Bueno, alongside fellow senior Israel Rodriguez ‘23 (OL/DE), were recognized for their championships in the gradebooks as they went on to win Academic Scholarships. Yascko remained a magnet for awards as he was also crowned Edison’s MVP (Most Valuable Player).

The 2022 National Silver All-Division team was loaded with Eagles. The first team includes Yascko (he just cannot stop winning), Selbin Sabio ‘23 (K/MLB), Stansbury, and Nyekir Eato ‘25 (RB, LB). The second team includes Shittu, Strachan, and Sebastian Vera ‘24 (DT/OL). Yascko, Eato, Shittu, Sabio, Stansbury, and Strachan were on the All Big Central Conference team as well.

At this point, I feel the need to dedicate an entire paragraph to Yascko since his previously stated awards are just the tip of the iceberg. As Yascko dominated the football field this season, he clearly had no consideration for my fingers, which now have to type out a long list of his accomplishments. It is a big deal to win just one of these…so take a look at this madness.

• Big Central Conference Offensive Player of the Year
  • Middlesex County Player of the Year
  • New Jersey Super 100 Team
  • Bill Denny/Rutgers Letterwinners Scholar Athlete of the Year
  • Edison HS Fall Male Athlete of the Year
  • Edison HS Offensive MVP
  • All State/Group 5 2nd Team Offense (alongside Stansbury)
  • All State/All Groups 2nd Team Offense

Sabio, Edison’s one and only two-way superstar, is also deserving of his own paragraph. His prowess as a linebacker got him a spot on both the All State/Group 5 1st Team Defense and the All State/All Groups 2nd Team Defense. So naturally, he was the Edison HS Defensive MVP as well.

The coaching staff voted on more team awards to continue the recognition of the champion team’s leaders. The Edison HS Offensive Linemen of the Year were Rodriguez and Bueno, and the Edison HS Defensive Linemen of the Year were Shittu and Vera. The only sophomore mentioned in this article has been Eato, who was awarded the Edison HS Offensive Back of the Year. Stansbury won the Edison HS Defensive Back of the Year to add to his extensive list of football accolades.

The 2022 championship football team will forever be remembered in EHS history, and each of these award-winners can be thanked for that.

View Comments (1)
$65
$500

About the Contributor
DEREK DUDEK '25
DEREK DUDEK '25, Staff Writer

Derek Dudek is a staff writer for "The Eagle's Eye," and has been since his freshman year of high school (3 years). So far, he's contributed specifically to the sports section of the paper (Football, Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, etc.), while also adding to other areas as well (ex. Metallica New Album Review). Aside from writing for the "Eye", he is an active member of the band, including Wind Ensemble & Jazz (retired from Marching Band). He also is on the Football, Bowling, and Volleyball teams. Outside of EHS, Derek has trained to work up degrees as a black belt, volunteered, and participated in various recreational sports leagues (ex. flag football & basketball).

$65
$500

• D

Deana LuchsJan 24, 2024 at 8:31 pm

Great article!! Well written! Obviously an accomplished football team!!

Reply