The Student Newspaper of Edison High School

The Eagle's Eye

The Eagle's Eye

The Eagle's Eye

Follow Us on Instagram
Edison High on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram

Function Meets Fashion: The Cargo Renaissance

Column: What’s In This Season?
ANDREA NYARKO ’27
Saanvi Vyakaranam ’26 wearing a brown cargo with a black t-shirt; a student at EHS wearing a blue themed outfit with a sweatshirt, cargos and blue shoes; a student at EHS wearing brown cargo with a black top and zip up hoodie; and Kelis M. ’27 wears her jeans like cargo pants with a skeleton graphic t-shirt(left to right).

Hold up…cargos are back? Whether they’re distressed or faux-zippered, cargo pants are making their presence known in the hallways of Edison High. But how exactly did we revert from the high-waisted mom jeans of the 2010s to Y2K (year 2000) cargos?
Before their introduction to the fashion realm, cargo pants were used as functional attire by the British Army in the 1930s. Made of sturdy cotton or cotton-wool blends, these pants allowed soldiers to remain comfortable while carrying necessary equipment.
Seventy years later, in the early-to-mid-2000s, retailers such as Gap, Abercrombie & Fitch, and American Eagle advertised cargo as clothing that could be worn as casual streetwear and capitalized it as a trend. Additionally, they helped mainstream the early uprising of the Y2K fashion era.
Cargos have recently made a comeback in the 2020s as a “microtrend” of the Y2K fashion uprising, in which 2000s fashion trends have been brought back into present-day fashion. As a symbol that embodies the fashion of the Y2K era, cargos are now at the forefront of current fashion trends.

Y2K or 2000s fashion have become a new hyper-fixation, with students looking for clean, sleek, and comfortable fashion.

— Lillian Nguyen '27

Now, we all know that cargos are stylish, but they’re also functional and solve a persistent wardrobe problem: POCKETS! With pockets that can hold anything from keys to an entire snack stash, they’re the game-changers we’ve all been waiting for. No more relying on pointless jacket pockets or digging through the bottom of our backpacks. A cross between functional and fashionable, cargo’s practicality makes them the perfect clothing for a school day.
“Cargos are stylish,” said Ahmed Ayioub ‘27. “They add some style to your pants, which isn’t common and just overall make your outfits pop. Teenagers who wear cargos notice how good it looks with any outfit that they pick.”
Cargos can effortlessly elevate any outfit, making them a staple in the modern teen’s wardrobe.
“I like the fact that cargos can add a silhouette to an outfit using the excessive amount of pockets,” said Lillian Nguyen ‘27. “Cargos are simple and comfortable and have become a staple in my choice of clothing. Others around me and the motivation for a ‘clean look’ have inspired me to get into wearing cargos.”
Kellis Mason ‘27 said, “I like baggy [clothes], so it just fits in. I was inspired by my mom because she wore them during the 2000s when cargos mainly became popular.” Mason brings up the parallel rise in baggy clothing with Y2K trends. At the start of the school year, these major trends have been seen this year: crop tops, wide-leg jeans, and most importantly, cargo pants.
“The Y2K or 2000s fashion [trends] have become a new hyper fixation…are looking for clean, sleek and comfortable fashion,” said Lillian Nguyen.

According to Lillian Nguyen ’27, “Y2K or 2000s fashion have become a new hyper-fixation,” with students “looking for clean, sleek, and comfortable fashion.”
Students are ditching traditional skinny jeans and sweats for comfortable, modern cargos. What is fascinating is the diverse ways students are incorporating cargos into their personal style, a reflection of their individuality and self-expression. Whether they’re paired with graphic tees for a laid-back look or fitted crop tops for a cuter style, cargos are not just a trend; they mark a revolution in comfort and style, one that’s sweeping through Edison High.