The Student Newspaper of Edison High School

The Eagle's Eye

The Eagle's Eye

The Eagle's Eye

Follow Us on Instagram
Edison High on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram

The Legacy Lives On

Edison High MUN Attends PMUNC
ISHAAN SHETTY ’24
Edison High’s Model UN team 2023 takes a group photo during PMUNC closing ceremonies.

From November 16th-19th, Edison High School Model United Nations (Model UN) delegates attended the Princeton Model United Nations Conference (PMUNC) at the Hilton East Brunswick Hotel & Executive Meeting Center. They represented nations like Thailand and Pakistan in committees ranging from the International Court of Justice (ICJ) to the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC). The conference challenged Edison’s delegates to debate real-world issues, form alliances, and create comprehensive solutions in a competitive environment.

Edison brought nineteen delegates to the conference in total, winning two Outstanding Delegate awards for Suhani Chokshi ‘24 and Sushanth Balaraman ‘24; as well as a Verbal Commendation for pairing Madhav Mandala ‘24 and Ishaan Shetty ‘24.

(From left) Ambar Phatak ’27, Ainie Syed ’26 and (from right) Madhav Mandala ’24 and Ishaan Shetty ’24 pose with their chairs from the Economic and Financial (ECOFIN) Committee. (Madhav Mandala ’24)

“It felt really gratifying to win an award, knowing that all my work in committee paid off,” said Chokshi.

A longer conference, PMUNC was a new experience for delegates that had never before attended a multi-day conference.

“We had people from all over the country and even some international students in our committees,” said Hrishi Shah ‘26 of his first PMUNC. “It was exciting to run around a hotel for four days with new people, while discussing global conflicts and developing new skills.”

Other beginner delegates likewise appreciated the learning experience PMUNC offered.

“There would be Secretary-Generals with four years of MUN experience in the same committee as first-timers,” said Ambar Phatak ‘27. “I got to interact with all these people and get different opinions not only about MUN, but also about high school and even college life.”

For seniors, PMUNC was an opportunity to enjoy a familiar Model UN environment for what is one of few remaining Model UN experiences.

My favorite part of PMUNC was definitely being able to meet new people and make friends, while also being able to spend time with friends from school.

— Suhani Chokshi '24

“It also made me really look forward towards EHSMUNC (Edison High School Model United Nations Conference), as the entire board has spent so much time and effort building up to it,” said Chokshi.

(From bottom left) Srinidhi Tammana ’25 and Soumita Banerjee ’25 waiting with other delegates outside the Office of Legal Affairs (LEGAL) committee room. (Soumita Banerjee ’25 ).

The EHS Model UN home conference, EHSMUNC, will take place on January 6.