The Student Newspaper of Edison High School

The Eagle's Eye

The Eagle's Eye

The Eagle's Eye

Follow Us on Instagram
Edison High on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram

EHS’s First Male Nurse’s Remarkable Journey of Service and Resilience

Winston Law ’27
Nurse Marano works on his computer in the front of the nurse’s office.

In a noteworthy development for Edison High School and the Edison community, Paolo Marano has become the school’s first male nurse, joining a long list of new staff for the 2023-2024 school year.

Marano’s journey traces back to his parents, Italian immigrants who sought a better life in America. Raised in a family deeply rooted in law enforcement, Marano’s upbringing instilled in him a passion for a career dedicated to serving and contributing to society. Inspired by his parent’s sacrifices, he aimed to make a meaningful impact on the world.

A pivotal shift in Marano’s career came when he decided to transition to school nursing, a desire driven by his want to adjust his schedule similar to his children’s schedule in order to play a more active role as a father.

Despite his personal motivations, Marano acknowledges the challenges that come with being a male in a predominantly female-oriented profession like nursing.

Your potential is greater than you know. Don’t be afraid of what others think of you. Don’t just say you’ll do; do what you say.

— Paolo Marano

“Sometimes females are not comfortable talking to me about certain sensitive subjects,” said Marano. However, he views these challenges as opportunities to break down barriers and make a positive difference in people’s lives.

Marano is no stranger to medical treatment himself. July 11, 2010 stands out as a defining moment in Marano’s life. He recounts a harrowing experience with a Honda Civic crashing into him at 8:30 in the morning. The impact left him severely injured, paralyzed, and facing an arduous rehabilitation process.

After enduring two years in a wheelchair and undergoing intensive therapy, Marano’s indomitable will and determined attitude propelled him to walk again. His resilience during this period led to a profound realization about the brevity of life, prompting him to shift gears from law enforcement.

Marano subsequently took on the role of a councilman in Watchung, showcasing his commitment to public service. Simultaneously, he returned to nursing—his current profession as of now—recognizing that life is too short to be hindered by obstacles.

Offering advice to Edison High School students, Marano encourages them to “live up to your highest potential” and emphasizes the limitless nature of their capabilities. “Your potential is greater than you know. Don’t be afraid of what others think of you. Don’t just say you’ll do; do what you say.”