The Student Newspaper of Edison High School

The Eagle's Eye

The Eagle's Eye

The Eagle's Eye

Follow Us on Instagram
Edison High on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram

Was 45-Year-Old Usher of Interest to Teens?

CHRIS SAAVEDRA ’26
Usher’s performance at the Super Bowl has raised questions on who the Super Bowl halftime show is for.

The opening scene of the halftime show was artlike. The camera panned from one backup dancer to another, each dressed in elaborate costumes with enlarged headpieces, flashy rhinestones, and vibrant bodysuits. In complete synchronization, everyone was frozen in place, with some performers posing in midair with their partners. When the music started in tandem with the flashing lights, it was similar to watching a museum display come to life. When Usher rose from his geometric throne, he demanded the confidence of a man in power. The singer-songwriter naturally charmed the audience with his self-assured, nonchalant, and collected attitude.

But ultimately, Usher was mediocre. Despite the flashiness and the crew of bedazzled dancers, Usher’s halftime show lacked significance. It came off as underwhelming and unrelatable, not resonating with fans. Numerous viewers found Usher’s stage manner sensual, particularly when he performed with American singer-songwriter Alicia Keys.

Usher’s repeated movements around Keys’ body were highly suggestive. The chemistry between Keys and Usher was over-the-top and unneeded. To many students, it seemed off-putting and controversial, considering both performers are married.

The Super Bowl Halftime Show is arguably one of the most anticipated aspects of the annual competition. With advanced technology providing careful attention to detail and setting the ambiance, the event is quite expensive. Forbes reports that the average halftime performance can cost up to ten million dollars, if not more. Additionally, the fame and notoriety of performing at such an event are highly significant in the music industry as they provide exposure and promote artists, either positively or negatively.

Moreover, the flashiness only heightened the disappointment surrounding the Usher Halftime Show. Viewers across the nation expected more from the performance. The performance’s nostalgia mainly appealed to a specific demographic: millennials trying to revive memories of an exhilarating youth.

One could argue that Keys and Usher only meant to sell the performance, but this attempt backfired in the eyes of many, including students here at Edison High. A performer is entitled to sell their performance, given they maintain the Halftime Show regulations. Though as seen through Usher’s performance, those rules weren’t exactly met. Nevertheless, the argument ultimately boils down to personal opinions.