Get to Know the New Athletic Director— Mr. David Sandaal

HENA PATEL ‘23 and NEHA PATEL ‘22

Among the many changes taking place at Edison High School, there is one regarding the Physical Education Department. Mr. David Sandaal, who used to teach Drivers’ Education at Edison High School, has left his classroom. He is now the new Athletic Director.

The role of an Athletic Director is much different than Sandaal’s former job. “The primary role of the athletic director is to oversee everything to do with athletics. Bussing, scheduling, physicals, budgets to name a few,” said Sandaal.  He hopes to go above and beyond the expectations of his job description. Additionally, his firsthand experience as a high school teacher and coach gives him another perspective of the necessary adjustments he wishes to make. 

Sandaal has a few developments he plans on making to the Athletic Department. “One of the first things [I] did as the new Edison Athletic Director (AD) was to get Edison Athletics on Twitter,” he said. Having a social media page allows the community to communicate with Edison Athletics.

As a former educator of Edison High, Sandaal is aware of needed improvements in Athletics. “One of my major tasks I’ve looked at since getting hired as Edison High’s 7th athletic director is to upgrade our indoor and outdoor athletic facilities as best as possible,” he said.

“[I] feel what’s just as important is the impact we as coaches and myself as the athletic director make on our student athletes,” said Sandaal of how he measures success. “I’m a big believer in getting our Edison High students and athletes ready for the ‘real world.’” Sandaal hopes that under his leadership, students will reach their full potential, and sports will be a memorable part of their high school experience.

Sandaal also has history at Edison High, as a graduate of the Class of 1990. As a student, he ran cross country and played basketball. After graduation, he came back and coached the JV Boys Basketball team in 1993 and 1994. “I was 21 years old! I really enjoyed my time coaching Freshman and JV Boys Basketball, Boys Spring Track, and Girls Golf,” said Sandaal. Given his background, he not only knows efficient team management, but also player motivation and encouragement. 

Sandaal believes in hard work and being genuine. “My role model is my dad, Robert Sandaal Sr, who passed away in 2002,” he said. “My dad was a great guy who taught me the value of hard work. He also taught me to do the right thing. My dad worked almost up to the day he passed away, and in all the time that I knew him, he never complained once about anything.”

“Seeing our student athletes being successful on the field, the court, and in the classroom [is the most rewarding part of my job],” Sandaal said. He continued by showing his appreciation for the school’s involvement in athletics. “It was a great experience on Wednesday, December 9th, delivering the Edison High School Athletic Department [awards] to the winners’ houses!”

“Mr. Ross likes to use the hashtag #whatsgreataboutedisonhigh,” Sandaal said. “I love that hashtag. But I also love the hashtag #onceaneaglealwaysaneagle.”