Senior of the Month (December) – Srinidhi Venkatesh

Srinidhi Venkatesh '22

Srinidhi Venkatesh before to a Model UN conference

The Edison High School community applauds Srinidhi Venkatesh ‘22 as December’s senior of the month. Throughout her high school career, Venkatesh has consistently proven herself to be an exceptional student through her academic performance and unflagging commitment to various extracurricular activities. 

A member of the STEM Academy at EHS, Venkatesh sets her standards high. She is the treasurer of EHS’s chapter of the Science National Honor Society, as well as a member of the National Honor Society, Spanish Honor Society, and Mu Alpha Theta, the mathematics honor society.

In addition, Venkatesh attended the NJ Governor’s School of Engineering and Technology, a highly prestigious summer research opportunity. As part of the program, she and her team published a research paper and submitted it to the MIT IEEE Undergraduate Research Technology Conference, where they were accepted to present it and won Top 5 Highest Scored Papers.

Venkatesh not only excels academically, but also involves herself in the school community through her participation and leadership in several clubs. She is the captain of the Science Olympiad team, a senior board member for WiSTEM FOCUS, and a copy editor for the Eagle’s Eye, the school newspaper. Having been an integral member of Science Olympiad since its start at EHS two years ago, she has helped the club grow from near nothing to a legitimate and competitive team in the state. In WiSTEM, she helps create a network/support system for women in STEM fields to find more opportunities to advance their careers and interests. One such event was Project I-Cubed, a series of science presentations which WiSTEM conducted in Edison’s four middle schools. She also plays an integral role as copy editor in the Eagle’s Eye: one of the final pairs of eyes to review each article which is published.

Of all the clubs she has participated in, though, Venkatesh’s role as a delegate and current board member for EHS Model United Nations has been her most cherished. Her experience at Model UN increased her confidence levels and efficacy in public speaking.

“​​I think that my time in Model United Nations has transcended political debate to become a defining feature in my personality”, she said. This year, she and the Model UN club hosted a conference, EHSMUN, for delegates from Edison High School and J. P. Stevens, having organized a virtual conference within EHS last year.

Venkatesh also pursues visual and performing arts. She is a member of the EHS Chamber Orchestra and plays Carnatic music on the violin. She has also been an avid visual artist since the age of 5, creating pieces in various mediums. Additionally, Venkatesh has been learning Bharatanatyam, a classical Indian dance, since the fourth grade. Through dance, she has found many opportunities to perform and compete as well.

Among her favorite memories at EHS is Diwalit, hosted by the Peacock Society. “I got to spend the evening with my friends, dressed up, singing and dancing our hearts out,” recalled Venkatesh. 

She is grateful for her teachers who have guided her onto her path throughout past years, and fondly acknowledges Ms. Diane Frey in particular as “one of my biggest cheerleaders and an amazing teacher all around.”

Looking back, Venkatesh encourages younger students to “participate in as many events as you can, because you never know which ones you will enjoy, who you will meet at these events, and what the future holds. Do your best to experience everything you can and want to.”

After graduation, she plans to pursue a four year Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering. Outside of career interests, she also aspires to travel the world and explore new destinations.