Mohanty’s New MACC Helps Find SEL Solutions

NICHOLAS NGUYEN '23

Previously College Counseling 1, Emma Mohanty ’22 used the space to focus on mental health and mindfulness

You have a test in English, a quiz in math, a project in Spanish, and a huge sports tournament after school. You feel like the weight of the world is on your shoulders, and you’re expected to juggle all of these weights without any space or time to relax. You feel like if you have to sit in your stifling, crowded, cafeteria study hall for one more second, you’re going to explode…

Does this feel like something you’ve experienced before?

Thanks t0 Emma Mohanty ‘22, there is now a place for students to work through these situations: The Mindfulness and Calming Center, which opened in College Center 1 in May. The MACC is Mohanty’s Girl Scout Gold Award project.

“[It is] a safe space that students can use during down time, or when they need a place to gather themselves during a chaotic school day,” Mohanty said. “It is a sensory experience and mindfulness room, with comfortable seating, posters and other tools students can use in times of distress.”

From the glitter jars to the plushies with reversible sequins, I just put so much thought and time into deciding what would go in the room, and I’m really proud of everything that’s in there.

— EMMA MOHANTY '22

Although the room is going to be a calming environment for other students, Mohanty did face struggles in ensuring the establishment of the room. 

“This room is a COVID-19 testing center after school hours,” said Mohanty, “so I had to make sure that it was still available for that, as well as college interviews, staff meetings and other purposes the room is used for. This made it pretty difficult to find materials and furniture that could be easily stored away and kept clean.” Despite these challenges, Mohanty is proud of the atmosphere she created. Not only is this a safe space for students who are struggling during school hours, but it also opens the minds of EHS staff and students to the prevalence of mental health issues amongst teenagers, reminding them that there are different ways of coping with issues. 

“Everything in this room, I’ve spent literally hours trying to decide what would be the best option,” said Mohanty. “From the glitter jars to the plushies with reversible sequins, I just put so much thought and time into deciding what would go in the room, and I’m really proud of everything that’s in there.” 

Mohanty would like to thank Counselor Mr. Joseph Dondero, for “helping find the materials to really make the room come to life as envisioned,” and Principal Charles Ross, for allowing her to turn College Center 1 into the MACC. She recognizes that without staff support, such a big project would have proved even harder for her to complete.

“I personally found great satisfaction in working with Emma. It was inspirational to see a student come up with an idea to help her fellow Eagles, and work relentlessly to achieve that goal.  She should be very proud of what she accomplished. I know that I am proud of her!” said Dondero.

The room is now available to use, and with the help of Mohanty and the teachers who assisted her, it will remain open for future generations of EHS students facing stressful days. 

So, if you are ever feeling stressed out about impending responsibilities or life choices or the quiz you have next period, stop by College Center 1 and check out Mohanty’s MACC.