From Past to Present: The Day of Love

RITHIKA BOSE ’24
Valentine’s Day traditions and ways of celebrating are constantly evolving to this day.

This February 14, many EHS students look forward to showing affection to their loved ones, celebrating with friends, and attending parties to commemorate Valentine’s Day. In the past, the holiday has been celebrated for a variety of different reasons, although they all revolved around displaying love to others. From breaking ancient laws for love to growing relationships through gifts, the celebration of Valentine’s Day has greatly evolved throughout history, eventually leading to the ways EHS students celebrate the holiday in the present.

The origins of Valentine’s Day are shrouded in mystery, but it is popularly known to have originated in the Roman Catholic church. According to a popular legend, a priest named St. Valentine violated a decree by Emperor Claudius II, which outlawed young men from marrying women. St. Valentine would marry young Romans in secret, but would eventually be found out, and put to death by Claudius’ orders.

Valentine’s Day has also been thought to have originated in the Roman celebration of “Lupercalia,” a festival dedicated to Faunus, the Roman god of agriculture, and Romulus and Remus, the legendary founders of Rome. A part of this celebration was for young women to put their names in an urn, and bachelors would choose the women they would be paired with. Most of these pairings would eventually lead to marriage. Lupercalia would eventually be outlawed as the celebration would be deemed “un-Christian,” and the holiday would be replaced with St. Valentine’s Day on February 14.

The first Valentine’s Day letters started appearing in the 15th century, and the holiday started becoming popularized in English territories around the world during the 17th century. Many used to celebrate by sending handwritten letters or small gifts to their loved ones, though handwritten letters would become replaced with printed and readymade cards in the early 20th century. Cards are a huge aspect of Valentine’s Day in the present, with the holiday selling the second most cards behind Christmas per year. Today, many EHS students spend the holiday either showing affection towards their loved ones through gifts or simply celebrating with friends.

In honesty, for many people, the essence of Valentine’s Day is a day in which you appreciate those closest to you.

— Arya Shastri ‘26

Many EHS students often receive chocolates from their loved ones on Valentine’s Day. The origins of this tradition can be traced back to the Aztecs who believed it made the heart happy. Chocolate was commonly shared at special events such as births and marriages. Giving chocolate has long been associated with feelings of love and romance towards the recipient which can be seen by the multitude of EHS students who share the tradition.

“My mom normally gets me chocolates for Valentine’s Day,” said Nico Sookoo ‘27. “Valentine’s Day to us is almost like Thanksgiving because family love is just as important during this time.”

Another way EHS students celebrate Valentine’s Day is by watching romantic comedies (rom-coms). Valentine’s Day, being the celebration of love, is encompassed by these shows in which love is celebrated for those around us. In addition, many EHS students enjoy decorating and having dinner with friends and family as a way to spend time with loved ones. 

“I like to have a cute dinner with friends and decorate,” said Karina Haldawar ‘25. “I also like to bake and watch rom-coms.”

Students at EHS also enjoy and appreciate the memories they have created with loved ones on Valentine’s Day. Holidays and celebrations, especially those celebrating love for one another, trigger feelings of nostalgia and reminiscence. Therefore, many students appreciate and celebrate the lasting memories they have created with their loved ones on Valentine’s Day.

“In honesty, for many people, the essence of Valentine’s Day is a day in which you appreciate those closest to you,” said Arya Shastri ‘26. “Therefore I spend time with my friends and we appreciate the memories we’ve made throughout the years”.

Due to changes in traditions and celebrations, the customs of Valentine’s Day have evolved greatly over the years. From watching romantic movies, spending time with family and friends, and receiving gifts, EHS students celebrate the annual occasion in many ways. Despite all this, the central theme of the holiday—love and happiness—remains.